Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pewter wire in a 1934 Rolls

A relation of mine is working on the dashboard of a 1934 RR and has asked me to supply tiny 1.1mm square wire of a soft grey metal.

I'm a jeweller amd work in a variety of alloys, including tin and pewter. From a sample of this wire I guess it is likely to be pewter or some other tin-based alloy, and it's now developed a fairly hard oxide coating on three of its sides.

I tested a small piece of it, comparing it with a same-size piece of Britannia Pewter, a lead-free alloy, and the sample from the Rolls melted slightly earlier than my piece of BP, or at what would be considered a similar temp. It could be pure tin (liquidus 232degC), or a tin-based pewter (~295).

Can anyone here tell me more about this wire, what it is and what's required of it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your friend should be able to tell you where the wire is used on the car.
I suggest that he (?she) look up the Australian club, www.rroc.org.au , and post his question on their forum. He needs to advise where the wire is used on the car and also the chassis number of the car.
Also he should become familiar with the New Zealand club, www.nzrrbc.co.nz .
Leho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leho said:
Your friend should be able to tell you where the wire is used on the car.
Leho
He knows where it's used, he just needs to replace it, and I don't know exactly what metal it is made of: pewter or pure tin. Probably pewter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
While he may know where it is used, the rest of us don't. We don't even know if the car is a Phantom or a 20/25HP.
You are unlikely to get useful responses from chaps who may know unless you impart some more information.
Leho

1 - 4 of 4 Posts