Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone new member seeks help my 77 silver shadow pumps out petrol on starting from underneath the car from the overflow pipes need advise on how to solve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fuel

Shadow,

The vehicle does this by design. That is the float chamber drain valve, and this indicates a flooded carburetor. The needle valve for one (or both) carburetor(s) is stuck in an open position and thereby floods. The excess fuel is discharged through this drain valve. This often occurs as a result of a damaged float in the carburetor float chamber. The float or needle (or both) will need replacement.

Hope that helps!
Kevin

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can get a complete rebuild kit from Burlen in the UK. Site is easy to use if you know what your looking for. shipping was quick too.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
If the carbs have not been serviced in a long time and the suction chamber oil kept topped up, that could be the cause of sticking, too. Chapter K5 - Part 2, in TSD4200 - The SY2 Series Workshop Manual covers the carbs in these cars. The full workshop manual is available from both the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library or the Bentley Heritage Technical Library for 1965-1980 (the latter is easier to download the entire document from, while the former easier if you just want separate chapters).

Addendum: Sorry, ladies and gentlemen. Even though the above is potentially useful information I had not noticed that this topic was "revived from the long dead" strictly for the purpose of posting spam, which has now been reported. I'm leaving what I added as it could be useful to later searchers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts