Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps.

Kinda own my Shadow on a whim so not that knowledgable.

What are the body panels made of....any Aluninium in there?

I have a couple of bubbles on the lower edge of the front wing under the chrome strip. Is there likely damage under the wing itslelf...for example are the sill lurking behind like on my old Aston which were holed> Can't go through that nightmare again so soon. :?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the bottom of the wing butted up against metal behind do you know. Such as the outer sill??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Viper,

I hate to burst your bubble, especially so soon after you have sorted out the rust problem on your other car. If you are seeing bubbles behind the trim on the bottom of the front wings, the dreaded "tin worm" has already taken hold. See attached photo of a 1979 Shadow 2, not mine thankfully!One of the causes can be that there are two rubber drain tubes which should protrude from the back bottom edges of the front wings which should drain water which enters via the grille under the windscreen wipers. Over time, these tubes shrink and shorten so that they pull up inside the front wings. Consequently, any water which drains down them collects inside the bottom of the front wings causing the rust damage. If I were you, I would remove the fibre glass splash guards from the rear of each front wheel arch to expose the inside of the wing. You can then see the damage and see where the drain tubes are. It is a simple job to extend the tubes so that they protrude slightly from the bottom of the wings. Unfortunately, it is not a simple job to repair the rust damage once it has taken hold.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Like you had bad Astons My Short chassis DB6 Volante
But these are easer as there steel
Like the previous post they love a bit of rust
But they don’t need expensive Body shop as there not Ally and there isn’t much crafting involved just a good panel man
:lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys.

Thankfully mine are nothing like that......couple of spots the size of my small finger nail but rust none the less and not broken through.

As advised.....I'll have a look behind the splash shield.

Thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Viper said:
Thanks Guys.

Thankfully mine are nothing like that......couple of spots the size of my small finger nail but rust none the less and not broken through.
Sorry, but since we are "bursting bubbles" my experience has always been that rust damage is two to three times the size of what you see. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts