Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents.

I've been slowly working my way through the bodywork and have been cutting/sanding all the required areas.

One thing I have noticed is the sheer thickness of the paint especially on the roof panel and C pillar, I'm almost sure that the paint above the stainless beltline is original..

Is it normal for RR to have such think original paint?

Thanks

H

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
There is usually an etching primer, another primer for filling and smoothing after any surface fillers, a coat of sealer, then the color coat. Proper foundation for the final paint is everything to a good finish.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know, that seems like an awful of bother, a few boxes of rattle cans and you're good to go ! :giggle:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
When I was getting a bare metal respray done on my Silver Shadow 11 the guys at the body shop told me that the paint was so thick that their sanding disks were continually clogging so they opted for paint removal using acid.

·
Registered
LRH40258 Scots Pine Green Silver Wraith II (1.08.80) Dark Green Everflex and Green leather
24 Posts
Hi Henry_B

Not only is the paint thick, so is the lead loading. I have been frankly amazed by the depth of lead that has been revealed as the Everflex roof and more particularly rusty holes along its edges are being repaired on my 1980 Wraith II. Should be ready for epoxy, primer and colour in the next week or so.
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Composite material Gas
Wood Grey Gas Metal Wrist

Then we can get the new Everflex on as original, dark green over Scots Pine. Incidentally, no sign of original piecing to get the Wraith's additional 4 inches as I had assumed, seems like the roof was a one piece special for these models.

Good luck with the paint job.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Wraith roofs are longer and not pieced. Hopefully your shop will thoroughly weld up the replaced areas and not leave gaps in the seams.Was the windscreen removed?

·
Registered
LRH40258 Scots Pine Green Silver Wraith II (1.08.80) Dark Green Everflex and Green leather
24 Posts
Yes, this was the initial stage of replacing the 'lace like' steel which had developed where the screws fixed on the edge trim, its looking a heck of lot better now than when the photos were taken. Front and rear screen removed after new rubbers obtained, obviously! I can see why some folk say Everflex is more trouble than its worth, it has certainly promoted corrosion on my car. Still, I am a sucker for originality so it has to have the Everflex top back.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I have 2 Everflex cars. The factory wiped the seams with a waxy substance before leaving the factory to prevent moisture ingress at the seams.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That an interest approach, I will discuss that with the trimmer, thanks. I am really unsure why my car has suffered so much with corrosion it was allegedly dry stored for a number of year but came out of a deceased estate so no way to really check. I have also had to have two complete floors which was rather more than I had anticipated, I had hoped one half floor was all that was required. Hopefully now they will be good for another 40 years if not more!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I replaced a floor section as well and it came out perfectly using original pan material. Worse yet it was over the rat trap. It was due to a clogged and overheating catalytic converter which burned away the floor. The repair is indistinguishable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have my total admiration, now I have seen all that had to be done, I would never have been able to tackle it or even less put it all back together afterwards! Rat trap, corroded brake and height adjustment pipes, fixings galore. Not to mention rear suspension fixing locations under the rear seat squab. All now new shiny steel ready for rust protection, painting and then new carpets. I guess its all due to leaking weather seals, on screens and doors over 40 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts