Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine's pretty rusted and I'm currently rebuilding it, so now would be the time for a new coat of paint. It's got a bit of shiny black here and there, and underneath that there's a bit more silver/gold (sort of a hammerite effect).

Is the silver-gold original, or is that just an undercoat? My water pump pulley is the same silver-gold, but without any apparent traces of black, so I expect the black was a later addition?

Thanks,
-- Jeff.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I believe the water pump on my car, which is a home market 1978 Shadow II, is slightly shiny black (with lots of dirt on top).

If you'd like, I can check that later when I take her out for her weekly exercise.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can buy a copy of the original build sheets for your car from the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club (U.K.). They have complete records up through the SZ period, at least. With those you can determine a great deal about what might have been added to or subtracted from your car over the years. You do not need to join to be able to buy these documents.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

I had another look, and my windshield wiper motor has been painted a hammered silver, which is definitely a different finish. The pulley looks more like a "sintered" or "flecked" cadmium colour.

I don't think I can get very close to matching that finish, so I'll probably go with a straight silver or a gloss black.

Brian, if you do have a chance to look, I'd appreciate it. Mine's a home market 1979 (SBH37222), so it sounds like they're fairly close in age. (I do have the build sheets, but they don't mention colours beyond the exterior.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Jeff,

The water pump housing (UE 40829) on my car is unfinished (that is, there's no paint on it). It has a dull silver-grey metallic surface.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jeff,

On both of my Shadows it is just metal there is no finish coating on them. It may be something they did with the aftermarket water pumps?

Not know if yours is original or not but if it is not that could be why it is painted.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys, but I was too inspecific:

There's the water pump housing which is attached to the block. It's aluminium (and as I understand it unfinished, although my car has had it sprayed in an aluminium colour with some overspray on nearby parts).

Then there's the water pump *bearing* housing, which is the cast-iron nose that bolts to the front of the water pump housing (and the only thing one needs to remove to service/rebuild the pump). It's a bit hard to see because the water pump pulley covers most of it. But as it's cast-iron, I figure it must be painted.

Anyway, if any of you gents get a chance to check your bearing housing colour, it would be great. (Although I might already have it painted by then. ;) )

Thanks,
-- Jeff.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called Flying Spares and they suggested painting it matt black.

(Personally I think a satin finish like Eastwood's "Underhood Black" would work better, but the movers wouldn't ship any of my aerosols and I've only just found a European supplier of Eastwood kit. For now I'm going to try a mist of gloss over matt and see how that works.)

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Waterpump rust

When theres anything of bare iron (out of sight obviously) i would spray it with rust-converter :idea:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hemmo --

I've got a blasting cabinet so I can easily strip off all the rust. I did undercoat it with a zinc primer.

Cheers,
-- Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts