Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening play mates,
As any regular readers will know i now live in france, came here to get away from the welsh rain and so far this year the welsh rain has followed me here and so i thought this afternoon i'd go and enjoy what i like best,

A bit of head turning and a ride in my pride and joy my "Bentley eight"

As i was enjoying the drive a bin lorry behind me started blowing his horn
flashing lights, "leaning out of the window, pointing, shoutinG !!!!!!!!

I pulled over and this bloke got out of the drivers seat screaming ive been trying to stop you for over 3 kms now,

Why ? I asked, (all this was in english)

I m getting married for the fourth time on saturday and wanted to know if you'd drive us to the reg/office?

I can't as im off to paris friday afternoon and this was arranged 3 weeks ago.

Who'd have thought that here in the middle of the countryside you'd find an englishman 3 times wed going for a fourth and wanting a bentley for his big day. :roll:

He told me his last "big day " car was a trotter three wheeler. 8)

·
Registered
741 Posts
How very interesting
There are two levels of roller Bentley people.
The first level is the folks that fall in love and aspire to cherishing one of these iconic marquess.
Unfortunately the nxt level is the folks taht (including you friends) who think you have bought the car and somehow aspire to wedding hire.
I had a horrendous experience of this, one of our "friends" thought it was ok to ask me to drive them to their wedding hang about for a couple of hours and for reward be invited to their evening reception.

That was the first have had the car a year and now been approched by three couples, really struggle to explain the these cars perform so much more that chariots to a wedding
Car is now locked away ex directory , har har,

ps why are we placed in this difficult situation when we have to explain that we did not buy the car for their wedding celebrations, and then they take great offence to our refusal, does anyone else suffer from roller syndrome

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanls for your replies,
"I like the one about wedding cake"

But as said, some people just like to put you in a spot, but ididnt even know this man "infact i thought something had happend to the car i didn't know about".

Once again thanks for the replies. :wink:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I drove some friends in my Continental R and after the service the photographer asked would I let him go in front as he wanted to take some shots on the way to the reception. I thought this as odd as who wants shots of the car on the M4.

I let him go in front but he just kept going faster and by the Bridgend turn off we were doing 105MPH. The Bride and Groom thought it was great.

What he really wanted to do was get to the reception first and snap the car coming up the drive!

Great fun

Paul

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hold on to your hats this is a true story.
I mentioned previously working with my Dad driving limos for weddings etc when I was in my early twenties.
So picture the scene my dads driving the wedding car, leaves the registry office followed by all of the family friends guest etc, car has blow out, no spare so the mechanic is quickly dispatched with appropraite tools and car just in case its not a quick fix another roller, by the time he gets there car has been jacked up wheel off two minute job to stick on replacement wheel, so off they go and all is well, or so you might think, ubknown to the wedded couple when the mechanic drove away in the other roller all of the other cars followed like sheep, so picture the scene he pulls in to the garage forecourt followed by twenty yes twenty cars, hillarious I still chuckle to this day when I think about it.
:D :lol: :shock: :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic,
Ive been bursting in laughter all night my wife thinks im mad.

Who said only the serious own such cars? :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did a few weddings in my friends RR (he wouldn't do them, and I got paid at 22 for driving a RR :D ). We did one for a couple, took them from the registry office in Manchester to the reception. I didn't know they were Police. As we came down the Princess Parkway, we were gradually joined by more and more Police cars :? , I was wondering what was wrong with the car!
By the time we got to the venue, there must have been 15 Police cars following :lol:
I get pestered all the time to do weddings with my General Lee - but people don't really understand when you don't want to do it.
Only thing I've done with the General was my daughter's prom. Her and her friends certainly had the coolest ride there - left No 11 across the carpark (some people never grow up) :roll:
Dropped my Mum off at the airport in my RR last week - she liked that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did another wedding for my niece in a Gordon Keeble. She got married in York Minster and the car was parked on the square outside. When they came to leave, I tried to put the car in reverse, the retaining spring snapped and the car refused to go into reverse. I had to get some bollards and two other cars shifted so I could drive out frontwards.

Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think thats the thing that does it for me - whatever happens the car has to be on the road that day. I spent so long restoring my Charger it doesn't go out in the rain (not only that, it's scary in the wet).
OK if you need the money to run one, it can be a lot of hassle if you don't.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi JANSEE

Why ONLY IN FRANCE ???

I've been in many countries round the world and i've seen many Rolls or Bentley as wedding cars ... :wink:

Cheers !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why onmy in france!!!!

Because you wouldn't expect to meet an english binman driving a regfuge vehicle in france.
Thats why only in france. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Alas binman & regfuge are not in dictionnaries ... :cry:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But this is an english forum and every englishman knows what a binman or if your posh "dustman is.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My godness, i'd never notice that !
Many thanks for your limpid explanations,
so it's better i withdraw.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leloarer,

Ive sent you an "pm"

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bentleyman22 said:
I Think You owe Leloare an Apology Jansee
Leloarer has been hear a lot longer than you and it isn't a English forum if you think that why are you living in His Country
Michael
Michael,
I owe No apology to Leloarer, this is an english forum hence rolls/royce/bentley are english cars ,
Im english and proud of the fact, ref living in france, thank christ a lot of english do live here, we help the general cost of this country in a big way,
we dont get free medical care as the french who move to the uk do,

And a lot of english/usa soldiers gave their lives for france so i have a perfect right to live here,
the forum is in english, not french german or dutch,

I speak and enj english, ive spent a bit of time explaining to Leloarer verious things ref his paying thousands of £ for his c of c for the rolls he bought and he as much as called me a liar when i said what i paid to reg my Bentley here in france,

Ive no intention of changing my english way a writing to fellow english members to please him,
Ive explained why i said only in france and the binman, thats as far as i go,
If Leloarer wants to call it a day thats his choice,

ref him being on this forum longer than myself !!!
then he should know its 90% english people who ask questions in english
and talk in english and he should understand that.

Ive explained to him "as ive said" the binman title and he's come back telling me its not in the dictionary and he may leave because i pointed out this forum is english?

Michael, if you feel so strongly about the forum and the it being non english, try writing it in french and see how many members leave.

Ive no intention of saying sorry for being english,
I served most of my working life in HM ARMY and ive seen people pay the price for being english.

REF Living in his country? michael, EU, "ring any bells" france as is england are now part of a much larger map than they once use to be,
Give it 50 years and england will have more "EU" members that dont even speak english living in the uk,

I live in a section of the EU map myfriend and if the english/dutch pulled out of france i can tell you france would be very sorry they did, we pay our way to live here and get nothing for free,

so get that one right Michael,
regards Jansee

1 - 20 of 28 Posts