Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My 1991 MY Turbo R has a bit of an engine oil leak the I'm trying to locate. I'm fairly sure it's from the rearmost portion of the engine, but I don't see anything from the top and from beneath the engine is generally a bit moist.
Are there any bits known for leaking?

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's engine oil!
I've read that you can inspect the rear seal with a mirror, but I'm not sure where the "inspection hole" is supposed to be....
There's a plate below the engine, sort of between engine and gearbox, is that where I need to look?

Cheers
Es

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Color will determine what it is. It could be oil (rear main seal) or trans fluid ( trans front pump seal).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yes, you must be totally sure this is engine oil, and not transmission oil or LHM

It could be your rocker cover gasket , we sould be tight slightly regularly each time you drain oil, because of the old cork seal.
It could also be the seal between engine and transmission known for leaking when car have sit long time, leaking engine or trnasmission oil.
Could be laso hydraulic pump leak.

If you are sure engine oil, I would rather suspect first the most simple, rocker cover.
3 bolts on each one, tight them gently, very gently. Tighting too much will damage cork seal you will have to replace.
Tighten middle bolt first then left & right, do it twice one you feel a slight resistance.

The best would be to change those seals against silicone, as adviised by factory, it does not leak any more and need to be tignten regularly.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely engine oil, as it's brownish.
Dexron II is very red and LMH obviously green!
I'll check the rocker covers too.

Where can I look at the main seal? Ist that the inspection cover below?

Es

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Old LHM could be brown, but very fluid.
Probably engine oil if its thick.
Check rocker cover first, that's a classic leak, from upper and it drips in the rear where you describe.

If you plan to keep the car, you should by the necessary to replace them by the new rubber ones, you need few items as spacers... but its worth.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Earlier (SY) cars don't even have front or rear main seals. They rely on negative crankcase pressure. Make sure your flame trap is clean.

BritishToolWorks.com
Where ist the flame trap located?
Sorry for all the lame questions, but this V8 is somewhat different (has more stuff attached to it :LOL: ) than the previous 4 V8s...

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Old LHM could be brown, but very fluid.
Probably engine oil if its thick.
Check rocker cover first, that's a classic leak, from upper and it drips in the rear where you describe.

If you plan to keep the car, you should by the necessary to replace them by the new rubber ones, you need few items as spacers... but its worth.
Hi Jean,
I plan on keeping it, so I'll be looking into those! Can you get them at Flying Spares etc.?

Es

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Read this for the flame trap, there is a filter in it

Yes FS have the parts necessary for rocker cover gaskets/ you need to ask for rubber ones, much better than corke.

Read this
Survey/Opinion Rocker cover gaskets

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Silicone gasket, new seals for the fasteners and "distance pieces"

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi!
I spent the morning tracing the oil leak.
Put UV contrast fluid in the engine oil, warmed the car up and searched for leaks with a UV lamp.
It would appear that the leak is from the sump / oil pan gasket, mainly at the rear above the cross member. Someone has tried applying sealant from the outside, but that isn't doing a great job...
How difficult is it to renew the gasket without actually pulling the engine?
It's a lot more involved than on a small block Chevy, I can see that, but is it possible?

Es

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Check first if your rocker cover gasket are gently tight enough.
They should be checked once a year.
As you may have the previous cork gasket, do not tight too much, otherwise they leak untill you replace them.

You should plan silicon gasket with spacer as suggested above.

No idea for pan gasket, not sure it's possible from under the car so easily.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jean,

The valve covers actually seem dry!
As far as I can tell, they also the silicone type.

My mechanic, well the one who let's me use lift as long as he doesn't need to touch the car, agreed that it looks like a pain in the backside!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I think the steering rack has to come off to remove the sump pan. There's a special ? shaped socket tool for the steering rack retaining bolts.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The bolts for the rack can be removed with a tool resembling a Shepard's cane and avail from BTW. I have one here if you need a pic. The rack is moved and the engine raised a bit to remove the partially hidden sump bolts in the rear.
You may fine some of the bolts have to be snugged .
The oil level assembly is tricky if removed. The housing is white metal and distorts sometimes when re-installed, thereby leaking.

·
Vendor
192 Posts

1 - 20 of 33 Posts