Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my dash, the odomoter works only periodicly, it will roll for a few miles then quit for a few miles. also the battery gauge and oil pressure gauge do not work. I checked the fuses and could not find any problems. is there any other suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe can be a non correctly fixed wire, check also the negative earth and try to discover if the ground exist. :idea:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
You may have a loose connection on the back of one of the instruments or possibly a short or bad connection leading to them.

When I took the dash apart on my '78 Shadow II I was surprised to find that the odometer was entirely electric and used slide-on electrical connections. These do not necessarily age well.

It appears (though I'm going from memory, so don't count on this) that a number of the instruments are running in series as far as getting power goes. If you lose power at the first in the series, others will "go out" too. I do believe that the odometer and the "quad gauge" that includes the battery and oil pressure share a connection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All 1977 onwards cars have an electronic speedo. It is very common for the odometer to stop working. This is caused by a small internal gear that perishes. For those Rolls-Royce "caretakers" that have this problem and wish to have it fixed, I have manufactured this "special gear". Please feel free to contact me for further information as to the alternatives available for repair.

I have an eBay listed service for this repair on eBay. Item #: 270637062055 (valid link for 30 days from 11/01/2010)

Rodd Sala - Park-Ward Motors
http://park-ward-motors.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts