Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
So, you must identify proper diagram ;) for your car and check main components and circuit... I believe it should be in TSD4737 manual?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, you must identify proper diagram ;) for your car and check main components and circuit... I believe it should be in TSD4737 manual?
I have looked and looked… and spent hours combing TSD4737; thought that I had found the fuel pump relay but in the trunk were only the stop lamp relay and the demist relay. Where might the fuel pump relay relay be?!! Thanks again…:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
EDITED (sorry):

I believe it should be located at the RIGHT-rear corner of engine compartment, in the area of windshield motor. The problem IMHO is, that in the year 1989 they sold cars with, at least, three versions of engine management system and each of them could be equipped with catalytic converter or turbo ;) Anyway, they are mentioned in TSD4737... So, you must check what you exactly have and find proper diagrams of fuel and electric circuits ;) Starting from model year 1990 the number of possibilities was reduced ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
EDITED (sorry):

I believe it should be located at the RIGHT-rear corner of engine compartment, in the area of windshield motor. The problem IMHO is, that in the year 1989 they sold cars with, at least, three versions of engine management system and each of them could be equipped with catalytic converter or turbo ;) Anyway, they are mentioned in TSD4737... So, you must check what you exactly have and find proper diagrams of fuel and electric circuits ;) Starting from model year 1990 the number of possibilities was reduced ;)
It’s so crazy, I have found relays for every other system but that one really does not seem to be anywhere. I have trace the wire from the fuel pump and it definitely goes to the right side of the engine compartment or at least as far as the fuses under the glove box. Thanks so much for your help and I will let you know how it goes!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Bumper

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not sure, if it is a diagram for your car, but looks like there were versions without fuel pump relay 🤣 In those case fuel pumps were driven directly by "ERS" ?...
Schematic Font Parallel Engineering Plan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
EDITED (sorry):

It’s so crazy, I have found relays for every other system but that one really does not seem to be anywhere. I have trace the wire from the fuel pump and it definitely goes to the right side of the engine compartment or at least as far as the fuses under the glove box. Thanks so much for your help and I will let you know how it goes!
I'm not sure, if it is a diagram for your car, but looks like there were versions without fuel pump relay 🤣 In those case fuel pumps were driven directly by "ERS" ?...
View attachment 30600
Certainly explains why I can’t find the fuel pump relay! ill have a look for the ERS. Maybe it’s gotten sticky…

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you look at TSD 4848 (Electrical Workshop manual for '89 SZ cars). There is a fuel pump relay amongst the cluster of relays in the engine compartment next to the suspension tower. The notation, however, is "Fuel pumps. Turbocharged cars only." I don't find a relay anywhere for the fuel pump in the non-turbo cars. This could explain the difficulty finding it. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you look at TSD 4848 (Electrical Workshop manual for '89 SZ cars). There is a fuel pump relay amongst the cluster of relays in the engine compartment next to the suspension tower. The notation, however, is "Fuel pumps. Turbocharged cars only." I don't find a relay anywhere for the fuel pump in the non-turbo cars. This could explain the difficulty finding it. :)
So I found the engine run sensor behind all the relays in the space below the glove box. Difficult to reach but I took it out cleaned it and the car started right up ! The inside of the ERS looked spotless but it apparently benefited from some electronic cleaner spray. Now to work on my lumpy idle…:)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts