Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a new to me 1989 Bentley Mullsanne. I seem to be getting plenty of fuel to the fuel distributor but none to any of the injectors, so no start. any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaned the fuel pump after getting low on fuel in the driveway and it starts now.
when revving past 3000 RPM the engine bogs down…
New plugs, timed, cleaned injectors, leaned mixture. Any thoughts before I bring it to a local shop who may not be much better equipped to deal with it? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I can almost guarantee you will be in worse shape after visiting your local mechanic. Absolutely make sure they have experience with BOSCH systems, not modern day injection commonly found on present cars. You also have a fuel accumulator and electric components that will cause problems that may appear as fuel issues. Playing with settings without the necessary meaurement devices will cause further issues..

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
This is a good read .http://rrtechnical.info/enginesettingspost1946.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I seem to be going backwards. No power now to the fuel pump. I checked the integrity of the wire and the connection and it’s fine. I can’t seem to find a relay or a fuse for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The fuse will be indicated on chart within the fuse panel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for giving it some thought. There is a nice chart with the fuses in set the glove box. and no fuse for the fuel pump. I did find a relay which I think is for the fuel pump in the trunk. I swapped it for a known working relay and still nothing. Might there be a fuse for it somewhere else?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMHO it is for Ignition. Fuel pump is F2 B5 in 2xxxx cars?
Both are ok. B5 is labeled “fuel injection” and has power to it with the key off.
What about the inertia switch which can isolate the fuel pump. Where is that?
Thank you kind sirs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Both are ok. B5 is labeled “fuel injection” and has power to it with the key off.
What about the inertia switch which can isolate the fuel pump. Where is that?
Thank you kind sirs.
It is inside engine comparement, right side, near engine ECU unit, if your car is fitted with inertia switch. I'm not sure if 2xxxx cars have it.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The Bentley Heritage site will confirm what's in your car by VIN and the associated workshop manuals at the site will tell you where to look, diagnose, and repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Bentley Heritage site will confirm what's in your car by VIN and the associated workshop manuals at the site will tell you where to look, diagnose, and repair.
IMHO it is for Ignition. Fuel pump is F2 B5 in 2xxxx cars?
I have checked fuses. They are ok. When I direct 12 volts to the pump it runs, but then no start. And when I power up the pump, the engine won’t turn over. I have to momentarily disconnect power to the pump to get it to turn over. All this and it won’t start. It will run if I put a little gas in the air intake. For a few seconds…A few days ago it ran, albeit not especially well. And now it runs only when provided some additional gas poured in the air intake. Pump not operating with just the key on or cranking.
I have searched the manuals for a way to diagnose this issue and still don’t know where to turn… any ideas?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts