Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 1970 Silver Shadow with two problems which arose almost concurrently so I assume they are related. I have tried to research probable cause/s but cant really find anything that fits my 'Two issue' situation.

1/ When in N or P engine wont turn over. IGN lights on but no starter turn - completely dead. Only sometimes will pressing the red button (in under dash fuse panel) allow a start. I've had to be towed home twice after attempting to restart a relatively 'Hot' (or at least warm) engine only to go out to the car in my driveway 45 mins after being towed home where engine (as slightly cooled) then starts normally and as many times as I like. This makes me suspect the issue is somehow heat related but that's only a hunch...

2/ If I stop car in D (to park car for a brief moment) move gear lever to N (engine still running/handbrake on) go into a shop for 30 seconds, come out and put gear lever clearly to R (to reverse out of street/kerb car park) car moves forward as transmission is still 'Stuck' in D.

I have cleaned the brass (?) quadrant at steering column many times over (with proprietary contact cleaner) whilst noting that the 'Tang' contact is making contact across the arc. I've also installed a used red reset button (under dash fuse box) but as I said, my pressing that will only sometimes allow a start when engine wont turn over (Completely dead but with IGN. lights on) despite gear lever quadrant indicating N or P.
I have also replaced the IGN fuse in the under dash fuse panel.

Points 1/ and 2/ only occur about every second time I go out for 5-6 mile run and when they do its usually at the same time.

Would someone please be able to tell my what to check and in the best sequence ie., to identify the likely cause.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Do you have the original coil in the car? If so, it is 50 yrs old and sometimes when warm they are unreliable.
Replace the starter relay.
Have you cleaned the connections on the starter and solenoid?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The shift actuator on the gearbox has a large multi-pin connector. It would be worthwhile to remove and spray de-oxit, check it off the list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the original coil in the car? If so, it is 50 yrs old and sometimes when warm they are unreliable.
Thank you
As it happens I have a new Bosch coil about 2.y.o I have a new starter relay (ex UK) and will fit it concurrent with checking the starter/solenoid connections.
I appreciate your guidance very much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shift actuator on the gearbox has a large multi-pin connector. It would be worthwhile to remove and spray de-oxit, check it off the list.
Upon further thought (please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious) may we conclude that engine often wont turn over in N or P simply because transmission isn't actually in N or P and similarly, car often moves forward when gear lever is clearly in position R presumably because the transmission is still actually in D.
This suggests a switch (Neutral cut out) or elec. wiring or connection (eg. plug) problem from steering column quadrant to actuator?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Your transmission is in neutral when the shift lever coming out of the side of the transmission is vertical, pointing downward. Park is forward pointing approx 8 o'clock and reverse is in between at 7 o'clock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts