Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really new but hello everyone. I have looked in several times on the forum as a guest whilst looking for a classic RR/B, so I recognise a lot of the names. I have now viewed several cars and followed all the guidelines. I have read and done detailed checking so got to learn quite a bit of what to look for. Not after a restoration project or lots of repairs as don't have time or skill but would prefer a chrome bumper Shadow. Seems a wide variety in price so have dismissed many in the lower price bracket. Does anyone know about this car Used Rolls-royce Silver-shadow 68 Auto For Sale In Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire - Richtoy I hope to travel up and view maybe next week but can't find any MoT history but does show as taxed. Any help appreciated or links to alternatives.
NICK

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hi Nick. I have attached a guide for you to evaluate the SY-Shadow car. Printing this and bringing it with you will cover all areas, and you will look like you know what you're doing.
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nick. I have attached a guide for you to evaluate the SY-Shadow car. Printing this and bringing it with you will cover all areas, and you will look like you know what you're doing.
Good luck!
Thank you. I had found this document in an older thread and did use it on the first few cars but getting a little more confident now on what to check...quite a few I have just dismissed because of the stae of the engine bay. Just told owners of RR/B don't look under the bonnet or it is a drivers car and not a show car but again if I remember it was a document you sent someone else. I have already accessed the Bentley Heritage and record sites but cannot find anything from the registration number. Hopefully I will get hold of the chassis number on visiting and check that out. No record on a HPI check of finance accidents or stolen vehicle and that all came out clean bill of health. Hoping maybe someone in UK will know some history on the car,

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very strange for a modern updated website forum or maybe my computer settings and lack of knowledge. The link does not show up clearly in my message as a link unless the mouse is travelled over it but when reading a post I don't use my mouse. Also could not find an edit post to add this so had to raise a new reply. Anyway here is the link to the car again with line spaces so it does not get lost in text of message

Now this time looks a bit more like a link.

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure just my teething problems or forum inexperience but it did look like a proper link in my message as I copied it into the typed text but then when posted it loses the httpp:\\ and added all the text in below. All I did was copy the link from the search bar at the top.........I have no idea where/how all the other info got populated and again could not find a way to edit or delete it from the post.

Nick

·
Registered
20 Posts
The pictures look like it’s a nice vehicle. Nice colors. Low miles. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I missed out and now very disappointed. However I did get to meet the previous owner though who has now offered to help me in my search. What a super chap and took the time to take me to see his classic car storage collection where he has Ferraris, Astons, Jaguars, Lotus and the nicest old Mini Cooper S I have ever seen. Indeed all his cars were looking concours and he has promised to take me for some drives when Covid is over. I reckon without even having a calculator my brain soon added up to way over a million pounds worth of beautiful cars. I lost out on his Rolls Royce though as I managed while looking through all the history invoices to pick up on one of the volumous receipts his address so decided to go see if he would talk to me as it was on my way back home to Derby from the garage. I know it was a bit cheeky and there was no intent to cheat the garage if it was a commission sale. What I discovered though in our social distanced conversation was the garage had actually listed the car with only 24k miles when it had actually done 124k miles but was due to the speedometer limit at 99k rolling back to zero. That said I must admit you would have thought the car was a genuine 24k miles. Anyway decided to sleep on it as it was quite late to return back to the garage so decided I could call the garage the next day with my decision and when I rang to say I would have the car they told me they had now taken a deposit........so I have been waiting to see if it went through and now find the car has been sold. Apparently the owner was a forum member but not now active. It is nice I suppose to see the value of these cars growing when been well cared for and hopefully I can find something similar now I have made a knowledgeable 'friend' and others on the forum to help me. PM me if you have one for sale or know of one.....has to be in UK and a RHD.

Nick

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nick

There's a lot of these out there so its worth doing some homework and learning what you might be getting into before leaping on the first one you see. There are some common things to watch out for, but over 30 years old each one will be a snowflake with its own story and weak points. Its then a question on whether you're dealing with simple ones or expensive, bank breaking ones. These cars hold up their interiors and exteriors (all seven layers of paint) very well over time, so don't be seduced into the surface looks alone. You need to know what you're mechanically getting into more importantly. Keep in mind these engines start warming up nicely once they clock 200,000 miles. It'll be the other things to watch out for (steering racks, hydraulics, etc)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts