Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I introduced myself in the "new members" area but my name is Mike and I just picked up a 1989 Turbo R with about 60K miles. I tend to do my own work on cars, and have a number of Citroen cars at the moment. Here are my questions, and thank you in advance for your thoughts!
1) Tires: the car has AVON tires and I dont see a date code on them, do AVON tires have date codes, or are these just very old tires (i.e. pre-date code)? I have not removed the tires to check the inside of the tire.

2) Parts: I'm based in the USA (Portland OR) and I'm curious where folks get parts from. I'd rather not pay shipping from the UK if possible. I'm looking for things like maintenance parts, new spheres, etc.

3) rear suspension: see attached photo, the rear suspension looks to be riding low. It is also somewhat "crashy" over bumps. I was planning to replace the rear spheres but wanted to confirm the ride height looks low.

4) owners manual: before I plunk down like $500 for an owners manual, I wanted to see if a pdf is available? I checked the Australian RR club but didnt see on there (maybe I missed it?)

5) any tips for "reconditioning" the car? It runs and drives pretty well but I'm planning to change fluids, filters, spheres, tires. Anything else I should consider? The car only covered about 800 miles between 2003 and present (i.e. it sat a lot). I intend to daily drive the Turbo R in good weather.
20210713_082845_resized.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, perhaps the tire I photographed does have a date code, the other tires do not seem to have a date code. Sorry for any confusion

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello, I introduced myself in the "new members" area but my name is Mike and I just picked up a 1989 Turbo R with about 60K miles. I tend to do my own work on cars, and have a number of Citroen cars at the moment. Here are my questions, and thank you in advance for your thoughts!
1) Tires: the car has AVON tires and I dont see a date code on them, do AVON tires have date codes, or are these just very old tires (i.e. pre-date code)? I have not removed the tires to check the inside of the tire.

2) Parts: I'm based in the USA (Portland OR) and I'm curious where folks get parts from. I'd rather not pay shipping from the UK if possible. I'm looking for things like maintenance parts, new spheres, etc.

3) rear suspension: see attached photo, the rear suspension looks to be riding low. It is also somewhat "crashy" over bumps. I was planning to replace the rear spheres but wanted to confirm the ride height looks low.

4) owners manual: before I plunk down like $500 for an owners manual, I wanted to see if a pdf is available? I checked the Australian RR club but didnt see on there (maybe I missed it?)

5) any tips for "reconditioning" the car? It runs and drives pretty well but I'm planning to change fluids, filters, spheres, tires. Anything else I should consider? The car only covered about 800 miles between 2003 and present (i.e. it sat a lot). I intend to daily drive the Turbo R in good weather. View attachment 30068

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and beautiful car…I want your wheels.

I use Alber’s up in Zionsville, Indiana. I’ve been buying a lot of parts from them for my Turbo R…even hard to find parts…they’re a RR/Bentley dealer.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
259 Posts
If your car is a 2xxxx series (last five numbers of vin), manuals are available as pdf's for free. Check Bentley Heritage site. But for series 3xxxx and newer cars, manuals were published only in electronic form as a database (it is called "Bentley Assist").

·
Super Moderator
827 Posts
Hi Mike, If it's really stiff in the rear with no suspension movement the gas springs are shot. Your description of crashing in the rear suspension would indicate this. You shouldn't drive it until you change them or the struts will be damaged. Yes ride height is too low, new gas springs will help with that. Albers Parts | Bentley Zionsville is your best bet for parts, I buy most of my stock from them. Have you done a brake pump down test to determine the state of the brake accumulator spheres? Run the engine for 5 minutes, shut it off, then turn the key back on but do not start the engine. Then slowly pump the brake pedal down and up slowly counting the number of pumps until the first "brake" warning lamp illuminates, then continue pumping and counting until the second "brake" warning lamp illuminates. With fully charged spheres you should get about 50 pumps before any lamp lights up, anything less than 10 you should replace the brake spheres right away. Avons are the best tires for these cars as they have stiff sidewalls to carry the weight. I would keep them as long as the date code shows they are not too old and if they are not showing any cracks. Change the diff oil too, and renew trans filter. Check brake hoses for age, all calipers for signs of leaks. I often get neglected SZ's in with leaking calipers, the seals do deteriorate with age. If not serviced since 2003 I would count on rebuilding the calipers and replacing hoses. The SZ's are hard on front springs, they are often sagged badly. Lower control arm bushings too, Albers sells new urethane ones better than the originals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the helpful comments! Here are a few updates FWIW:
1) I did the brake pump down test- the first light came on at 3 pumps, the second light at 6 pumps. I'll look into replacement spheres for that system along with the rear suspension spheres. As an aside, whenever I rescue a Citroen usually the first step is to replace all of the spheres (6 to 8 spheres on most Citroen cars), so I'm familiar with the process.
2) the rear calipers were rebuilt by the prior owner, I'll inspect the front calipers / flex hoses, thanks for the tip.
3) still no luck on the owner's manual. I've been able to find the repair manual, but not the owners manual.
4) I'll order some new tires, I'm planning to get AVON Turbospeed CR228-D, at a size of 255/55ZR17 (these are currently installed on the vehicle). Tire Rack (who I understand is the sole provider of these tires in the USA?) says they only have 3 in stock, with more stock arriving in September. Anyone else sell these in the USA?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been looking around for Avons for our 1990 as well and nobody seems to have them. Coker, Tire Rack, etc all say October will be first shipment and orders are placed against those. I need something for the rest of summer so we are trying the Kuhmo 235/70/15. We tried the 255/70/15 but they rubbed in the front when turning and there are some lines there that you don't want to be rubbing either.

Our car has Avons that are not from UK or USA. There was not a conventional date code on them either. We were able to figure out they are about 12 years old. The car only has 16k original miles but they are the 3rd set of Avons. The tires have tread and even wear, but they are old enough to concern me so we are removing them today.

I will report back with our findings from running the Kuhmo 235/70/15. I don't plan to do this forever, we will eventually get the original style back on the car, but I am not paying $3000 for four tires that are 2 years old which is about the only ones I found in USA after looking for weeks.

Universal tire in PA had them for a really high price I just refused to pay about 2 weeks ago.
I think it was like $3100 for 5 plus $250 to ship them 2 hours away.

Tire rack is usually 2000 or so for 5 with free shipping or rebate if you pick em up.

The Kuhmos were $680 for 5 including overnight delivery!
The first set did not fit but they offer full return credit if you bring them back or mail them back with 30 days, pretty sweet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
also the owners manual sucks it has very little info so don't beat yourself up on getting one

what you want is the factory service manual for your car and for the gearbox

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips! My car has 17 inch wheels, and it seems there is a bridgestone tire that may also fit (though reviews for those tires are not great). I may just order the 3 AVONs that TireRack has and get on the waitlist for the 4th tire. I'll keep the old tire on the right rear (and put the three new tires elsewhere) assuming if I get a blowout, the right rear is the better place for that to happen. I mostly just drive around town, no faster than about 45 mph. Really, in Portland these days, I mostly just sit in traffic or at red lights...(so many red lights in this town)

Thanks for the intel about the owner's manual, makes me feel better about not having one.
Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
My manuals came in French and Kenji but just a browse shows that they aren't worth much.

Try books4cars.com (near you in Seattle)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Kuhmo 235/70/15. We tried the 255/70/15 but they rubbed in the front when turning and there are some lines there that you don't want to be rubbing either.
I believe that the factory spec is 255/65R15, it's pretty easy to find 255/60R15 which are close enough and will probably fit better than 235's. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe that the factory spec is 255/65R15, it's pretty easy to find 255/60R15 which are close enough and will probably fit better than 235's. Just my opinion of course.
For later cars like my '96 Turbo R it's 255/55R17, It sounds like PDX has the same 17" wheels. I just had 5 new Avons fitted, I guess they're easier to get hold of on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For later cars like my '96 Turbo R it's 255/55R17, It sounds like PDX has the same 17" wheels. I just had 5 new Avons fitted, I guess they're easier to get hold of on this side of the pond.
Yes, 17 inch wheels on my car, PO likely swapped wheels. I may have to look into shipping some AVONs over from the England. The three available here have production codes of 2018...
Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think a little research will show you the spheres are Citroen. Tires, I presently have Pirelli scorpion and will change to Michelin next. I'm told front ball joints are from BMC austin/morris 1800. For front brakes, I have Meyle (from Mercedes), rear are Ferodo from Jag. etc etc.. Bentley seems to have been pretty good themselves at sourcing parts. just a while back, did 3k miles round France and Spain, latter part was with very saggy rear and very hard bumpy ride. 2 new Citroen spheres at rear corrected it. Not that difficult to change with chain wrench. Many engine parts similar to or same as GM. Mine is '97 turbo so brakes may be slightly different. If you do an engine job, do some reading about gaskets and thermostats first. Plenty of helpful people here. good luck, john h

1 - 14 of 14 Posts