Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, frequent-fliers :)

My name is Nick - Resident of San Francisco, and like all of you, a lover of obscure and highly-entertaining/rewarding motorcars.

Currently my stable consists of a 1997 BMW 840ci, and newly, a well-maintained and fully functional Black and Tan 1989 Bentley Turbo R with ~125K miles.

I'm such a noob in regards to the Turbo R that I'm still learning the basic controls and operations of the many switches and buttons throughout its cabin; unfortunately the vehicle did not contain an owner's manual. Does anyone have a link to a PDF version, or a site which can sell one? I have some of the technical repair PDFs, but I'm thinking more just everyday operations.

If anyone here happens to own or have repaired a Turbo R, please let me know if there's anything in particular (older threads, words of wisdom) that I should be aware of. I'm fully aware that the car is second cousin to a British Centurion tank, and is known to chew up brake pads and shocks like they were digestive biscuits, but what else is there to know?

The car isn't perfect, has a few issues with the HVAC system and power windows/passenger seat, but otherwise is an excellent example.

Very pleased to meet you all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hi Nick. I just came back from SF and I'm out there approx 2x yr. It's not the flattest terrain and perhaps brake pad life will be shorter. However...one of the issues facing the Turbo R historically are the headgaskets. The age of the car and mileage is a small concern but be aware if they breach it will be costly. Advice is to let the car warm thoroughly before youslam the accelerator outside of the city. I know the traffic won't let you do that on the peninsula or over the east bay bridge at certain times.
http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2014/10/blown-head-gaskets-in-bentley-turbo-r.html

·
Registered
721 Posts
Welcome Nick! I use my Turbo R as a daily driver. In addition to letting your engine warm up you should also let it idle for a few minuets after an enthusiastic run before shutting it off. Thus letting the turbo cool down. I Love SF.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, Nick. I have a 1989 Turbo R, #26058, made in 12/88. I have owned 2 Rolls and another Bentley. This one is the best by far. (Only 27000 miles) I am not a DIY mechanic, so the only advice I can give you is to stay on top of all the required maintenance, otherwise repairs can get pricey. Jay Leno has a 1989 Turbo R, which he bought new. He says it's his favorite car in his collection.

Best, Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts