Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first time here and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.
I am currently shopping for a 2006/7 Phantom and am looking for advice on things I should be looking for so any advice would be greatly appreciated, and as I get accustomed to the Car I will be more than happy to share my experiences with you...

The Rolls Royce is more than just a Car, it's an Art-form, I've wanted one all my life..I will be driving it daily so She is not going to be a Garage Queen...

I'm British and live in Irvine, CA now.

·
Administrator
452 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jaguar27, we look forward to getting to know you.

Be sure to keep us abreast of developments in your Phantom purchase. we'll be interested to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi Jaguar 27
Good to meet you don’t know much about BMW’s but it looks one heel of a motor car hope you have a lot of fun with it Make shore it comes from a dealer with a full warranty it will cost a lot more but think of the no stress factor when it doesn’t do what it states on the tin
Let us know how you do and put a photo on hear when you get it
Michael

·
Registered
31 Posts
bentleyman22 said:
Hi Jaguar 27
Good to meet you don’t know much about BMW’s but it looks one heel of a motor car hope you have a lot of fun with it Make shore it comes from a dealer with a full warranty it will cost a lot more but think of the no stress factor when it doesn’t do what it states on the tin
Let us know how you do and put a photo on hear when you get it
Michael
Hey, you bloody lot. When I came on board I was ignored. What, an Arnage doesn't qualify for a welcome? No one cares how the discovery and purchase goes.

Nyah to you all....... :p

PS, welcome Phantom owner to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome Guys...I'll be sure to keep you updated and post some Pics, even of potential Phantoms.

I'm looking for a black or white one, I like both and either needs to have a Saddle coloured interior so that shouldn't be so hard to find.

My budget is up to $200K. I've been keeping track on ebay and a local dealer, a private seller has a nice dark blue one and is asking $189K for it, the interior is almost white though.

I'm not looking for Toyota reliability although it would be nice I also don't want one that is going to be an endless problem.

I'm willing to get it Dealer Serviced, I'm not sure there are any Independent Shops around here but then again I'm not sure whether they would be able to handle such a Technologically advanced Motor Car.

Is anyone aware of anything I should be looking at as far as known problems concerned?

In any case, I'll keep you updated. Nice to meet you all btw.

Peter.[/img][/list]

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi CaesoniaF that is a bit unfair I have spoken to you on several occasions
And you know my feelings for you look at my last post I was going to wind you up but have a glass of wine and chill
Michael

·
Registered
31 Posts
bentleyman22 said:
Hi CaesoniaF that is a bit unfair I have spoken to you on several occasions
And you know my feelings for you look at my last post I was going to wind you up but have a glass of wine and chill
Michael
Yes, yes, I know you have spoken to me, as has Stirling..... :)

I meant when I first posted in new members, no one said howdie do or welcome aboard, nothing, silence. I figured an Arnage being bought by a long time Volvo devotee and restorer didn't count.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
bentleyman22 said:
What’s a VOLVO? 8)
Huh. Something I can leave parked for 3 months while I am in Europe, come back, and will start on the first try in -10 F. Even when the battery is 10 years old. ( Yep, I changed the first one after 10 years because the case cracked. )

I hope like heck I can do that with the Arnage. It does have 2 batteries it. Does your Bentley have two batteries, and what is the purpose? Big engine w/ high compression? Lot's of crap being powered?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jaguar27 said:
Hey CaesoniaF, don't worry, I will talk to you... :)
Good, because this is not a chatty lot on this forum. My Volvo forums are way busier.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stirling said:
I believe it is some sort of safety appliance used in the suburbs for conveying children to soccer matches. I saw one at a Gap store once. :p
Are you saying that the Arnage will not be a safe, nor capable of serving high class appliance duties involving small children?

My Volvo has never experienced carting children to footie matches, but it has carted nieces and nephews at the beach, with all associated sand and kit. The Bentley will have to pass through these trials as well, on an odd occasion.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi CaesoniaF
You can all ways put a tow bar on it and the kids can travel in the trailer then the Arnage will be fit for purpose
As for leaving it for 3 months and then starting it with out charging the battery you will have to get a GOOD jump they don’t like being left all alone with out being pampered (female thing)
I agree this forum is a bit slow I try to answer posts and have some fun
I think it is a UK thing Aston Martin Forums getting better I think all we can do is perceiver
Are you on Face Book?
You can all ways click on me there and I will chat to you there as well this is on my phone so I can still chat when I am not in the UK
I am surprised they let you back in to the US after being in Europe for 3 months

Hello Jaguar 27 have you throat about getting a car in euroup?
You mite have a bit more of a choice

Hi Stirling went on internet and fond a Volvo there funny looking things I can see why there used as small buses
:lol: 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bentleyman, I haven't thought about looking in Europe...I'd a like a California or Florida Car in that order....the ones driven in California have hardly seen any rain...we almost never see any corrosion on even the oldest of cars here unless they're parked by the Beach all the time...

·
Registered
31 Posts
bentleyman22 said:
Hi CaesoniaF
You can all ways put a tow bar on it and the kids can travel in the trailer then the Arnage will be fit for purpose
As for leaving it for 3 months and then starting it with out charging the battery you will have to get a GOOD jump they don’t like being left all alone with out being pampered (female thing)
I agree this forum is a bit slow I try to answer posts and have some fun
I think it is a UK thing Aston Martin Forums getting better I think all we can do is perceiver
Are you on Face Book?
You can all ways click on me there and I will chat to you there as well this is on my phone so I can still chat when I am not in the UK
I am surprised they let you back in to the US after being in Europe for 3 months

Hello Jaguar 27 have you throat about getting a car in euroup?
You mite have a bit more of a choice

Hi Stirling went on internet and fond a Volvo there funny looking things I can see why there used as small buses
:lol: 8)
Well, it's really not good for any car to sit for 3 months without running. I once stored a car for three years, and it was not a good move. To be honest, the longest I let the car(s) sit without a charger was 1 month. If it was parked for three, I got someone to go and start it. I also dribble a little oil into the filler before starting, because it's all down in the oil pan. I don't consider that pampering, just logical. we have a saying in the Volvo 240 World: Drive it like you hate it.

While I wouldn't go quite that far for an Arnage, it basically means, cars are meant to be driven, if you expect them to give you good service.

thus, the Bentley will have to handle not just pristine tarmac, but some sand, some snow such as in the winter we are having right now, a field or two, and occasional child moments. i know there are carseat tie points.

Yes, I am on Facebook, finally. I have a friends page and a fan page. I have also joined the fan page for this forum. I just don;t know which one you are....

I am still curious about the two battery thing though. Do other Bentleys have this and is this just being fail safe for a big engine, or what? I have a 1 ton diesel but it's obvious in that case to have 2 batteries.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi well I am back from my Hols
Well to answer C.F Q about durability of a Bentley
I have just been to Wales in my RT in snow ice and rain
I have driven R&R’s Bentleys for the last 10 years and have used my cars in all conditions they get serviced when they need it and used the rest of the time
When I got my first RR I used to only use it on Hi days and holidays
She spent more time in my workshop than any other car
I got close to scraping it
So I decided to use it as an every day car we put a tow bar on it and used it as a brake down truck
It never broke down again
The Bentley Turbo that replaced it had 240000 on the clock when it went (still running like a Timex and the RT will be treated the same
Hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
bentleyman22 said:
Hi well I am back from my Hols
Well to answer C.F Q about durability of a Bentley
I have just been to Wales in my RT in snow ice and rain
I have driven R&R’s Bentleys for the last 10 years and have used my cars in all conditions they get serviced when they need it and used the rest of the time
Hope this helps
I supppose I didn't think the car would really struggle in snow or rain, being so heavy, provided they are piloted by good drivers. My understanding is the cochwork is tested in some serious monsoon chambers. The 3 years I lived in the UK taught me that whatever survived damp there could survive damp pretty much anywhere.

I am glad to hear that if you drive them like a car should be driven - and these cars are built to be driven - that they treat you well. I often hear nightmare stories about servicing, but then people use to say that to me about my Volvos, and I couldn' t udnerstand why. This is one reason why I am avoiding the ones that have been sitting too much, looking at ones with reasonable driving time. It will cost less to buy and maintain.

Tell me, how do all the elctronic gizmos in the cars hold up, provided the car is used. Other than some sticking winow switches, and the odd relay, all things in my last 245, from heated seats to mirror defrosters all still work. I might have to hit the switch a few times, to get the relay unstuck, but then they work fine. The Arnage comes lots more, like moving back seats, and seat memory settings, and a self leveling sort of suspension.

How have those things held up for you and are they a bloody nuisance to fix? Are these cars stru/ bushing eaters???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts