Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for RollsRoyceForums.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join RollsRoyceForums.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "Dakota-Durano.com Legacy".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Rolls, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/mygarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your RollsRoyceForums.com Team.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I find the new design a bit too white overall. It's somewhat more difficult to read the posts for any period of time due to that. Just look at the reply with quote above (and the sidebar on the left) - it's much easier on the eyes to read the content when the contrast is not quite so high, particularly when you're using a relatively light font that doesn't have serifs. The difference in readability between the compose box, which uses a heavier font with serifs, and the actual thread presentation is marked as well.

I would consider switching to a somewhat heavier font and going with a slightly off-white background to improve readability.

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find the new design a bit too white overall. It's somewhat more difficult to read the posts for any period of time due to that. Just look at the reply with quote above (and the sidebar on the left) - it's much easier on the eyes to read the content when the contrast is not quite so high, particularly when you're using a relatively light font that doesn't have serifs. The difference in readability between the compose box, which uses a heavier font with serifs, and the actual thread presentation is marked as well.

I would consider switching to a somewhat heavier font and going with a slightly off-white background to improve readability.
Thanks for the feedback,

I can try to have them tweak the color contrast a bit to address the "white" look. You can also go back to the legacy version in the bottom left corner to see the old color combo in vBull if you prefer.

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
marvelous that I could go back to the old colour-sheme that matches the colours of my car (racing green II paint, champaign intererior, tan everflex)

I´m always deeply impressed how some people do have the ability to run such a website, thank you for that!

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marvelous that I could go back to the old colour-sheme that matches the colours of my car (racing green II paint, champaign intererior, tan everflex)

I´m always deeply impressed how some people do have the ability to run such a website, thank you for that!
Thanks, I will share the feedback with the team.

Glad to hear, either view should be a great improvement over the past version of the forum.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love the new look, fresh clean and easy to navigate. Please don't go back to those dark colours. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Is there something one must do to "enable" threaded mode or hybrid mode?

I tend to like threaded displays, but when I go to my settings page the only two options are Linear with either newest first or oldest first.

Both threaded mode and hybrid mode are documented, but seem to be unavailable.

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the new look, fresh clean and easy to navigate. Please don't go back to those dark colours. Keep up the good work!
I must say that the new format is a huge improvement with the forum taking precedence over the adverts. Well Done!
Thanks guys!!!

I will share the feedback with the team.

Jeff

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there something one must do to "enable" threaded mode or hybrid mode?

I tend to like threaded displays, but when I go to my settings page the only two options are Linear with either newest first or oldest first.

Both threaded mode and hybrid mode are documented, but seem to be unavailable.
Can you explain in more detail, kinda confused by this.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Can you explain in more detail, kinda confused by this.

Jeff
When you go to the Edit Options link in the User Control Panel, one of the options you see is the Thread Display Mode (screenshot attached). The only two options presented are Linear, either oldest first or newest first.

However, the help page (screenshot attached) indicates there should also be a threaded display mode and a hybrid display mode. I generally use true threaded or hybrid display modes on most forums I use. See the attached screenshot from the RROC-Australia discussion forums of a hybrid threaded tree view.

I'm just wondering why the threaded and hybrid views are not presented in the Thread Display options dropdown list when they are documented as existing for this forums software. I'm presuming it's something the admins will have to activate but wanted also to make sure there isn't something I might need to do to have those options presented as expected.

Attachments

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you go to the Edit Options link in the User Control Panel, one of the options you see is the Thread Display Mode (screenshot attached). The only two options presented are Linear, either oldest first or newest first.

However, the help page (screenshot attached) indicates there should also be a threaded display mode and a hybrid display mode. I generally use true threaded or hybrid display modes on most forums I use. See the attached screenshot from the RROC-Australia discussion forums of a hybrid threaded tree view.

I'm just wondering why the threaded and hybrid views are not presented in the Thread Display options dropdown list when they are documented as existing for this forums software. I'm presuming it's something the admins will have to activate but wanted also to make sure there isn't something I might need to do to have those options presented as expected.
Heya,

Kyle from Support made some changes and I think he set it up for you now.

Please confirm.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Heya,

Kyle from Support made some changes and I think he set it up for you now.

Please confirm.

Thanks,
Jeff
Well, the answer is "yes and no." It is absolutely there at the level of a single thread within a forum, which is OK, but a threaded or hybrid view is most useful at the level of a forum itself or the entire collection of forums, as was illustrated in the screenshot from the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums. The whole idea is to give you a "birds-eye view," and by the time you're at a thread level that bird is flying about 6-inches off the ground.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Hello, I have two change requests to make and a problem to report.

The first change request is to add a regular "Choose Files to Upload" button that pops up a file selection dialog. For myself, I generally find this much more convenient than "drag and drop."

The second is to add a button in the WYSIWYG editor that would allow a picture to be included inline in a post.

I just attempted to attach a PDF file and it would not attach, saying there is a 20Kb file size limit. That has to be in error as many photo files that are 640x480 resolution are larger than 20Kb, and there's almost no MS-Word, PDF, or ZIP file that would ever be that tiny. I get the same message when attempting to upload a pre-Word-2007 .doc file as far as the file size limit.

I just tried to upload a ZIP file, and that shows a limit of 98K. That is unbelievably small by contemporary standards. There is also a message that "docx format is not allowed" and since Office 2007 .docx is the default file extension created by MS-Word.

Here's a screen shot taken moments ago so you can see the error messages:

Attachments

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The first change request is to add a regular "Choose Files to Upload" button that pops up a file selection dialog. For myself, I generally find this much more convenient than "drag and drop."

The second is to add a button in the WYSIWYG editor that would allow a picture to be included inline in a post.

I just attempted to attach a PDF file and it would not attach, saying there is a 20Kb file size limit. That has to be in error as many photo files that are 640x480 resolution are larger than 20Kb, and there's almost no MS-Word, PDF, or ZIP file that would ever be that tiny. I get the same message when attempting to upload a pre-Word-2007 .doc file as far as the file size limit.

I just tried to upload a ZIP file, and that shows a limit of 98K. That is unbelievably small by contemporary standards. There is also a message that "docx format is not allowed" and since Office 2007 .docx is the default file extension created by MS-Word.

10-4, thanks for the feedback and request.

I am opening a ticket to have them update the settings per your request.

Jeff

·
Administrator
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

@guysip

Update on this, the team was able to increase size limits for PDF and ZIP and they have also added the docx extension.

However the other request is already available in full post mode, just not in quick reply.

Let me know how that works,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks, the size limits are more reasonable now and the addition of the docx file extension is definitely needed.

However, I guess I should have been a bit more clear with regard to including pictures inline. Many forums now support this by clicking a button, then selecting an image from your computer to include inline in the post. The only support for inline picture inclusion I can find, whether in Quick Reply or Advanced mode wants a picture URL, which means that picture has to already be hosted somewhere "out there" on the web. It's a grand PITA to have to upload a random single image to webspace somewhere in order to have it included inline in a post. In addition, there are a *lot* of people who are using Google Drive to host all kinds of content. Here's a link to an image file I have on Google Drive. It's a straight JPG file. However, the include image inline button (small button that looks like two mountains on a yellow background with a "stamp" at the upper right corner) will not allow you to use a Google Drive link, either. Google Drive share links don't identify the item in question with a file extension, which I imagine is the sticking point. By contrast, here's a random file I have that's hosted on Amazon Web Services:

It works just fine because Amazon's naming convention for shared files has a URL that shows the actual file name as the final part, which means a JPG file ends with .jpg. I still could not have included the above image inline if it weren't already hosted elsewhere.

I'm really not trying to be difficult or whiny, but to identify "realities of the real world" that have not been accounted for. I'm actually far more interested in the inline inclusion feature bringing up a dialog that allows you to select a file from your own computer than support for Google Drive objects. A great many forums users are not tech geeks and would have no idea at all on how to get a photo out to webspace that has a URL that the include image inline button will support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts