Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I hope you are well. I joined this forum some 5 months ago with an odd request to see if anyone in my area owned an Arnage who I might be able to borrow for half a day or so. My late Father was head over heels with this particular model and I wanted him to experience it before he passed. Fortunately a tremendously generous gentleman drove his RL over and my Dad was able to see the car. Possibly one of the most special moments in both our lives!

Anyhow one thing led to another and I’ve actually bought a Rolls Royce from him, a Flying Spur no less No. 48/50! It is absolutely MINT with only 34,500 miles on the clock. It is a 1995 model in special order Diamond Graphite.

I am currently in the process of setting up a wedding car business in the Gloucestershire area with the Spur leading the fleet. I’m also about to acquire a beautiful Daimler Double Six in a similar colour.

I had a few questions about my Spur, if anyone will field them:

1) How do I care for the lambs wool carpets? Can they be cleaned? I’m scared of them disintegrating if I try…
2) How do people care for the gorgeous leather? There’s essentially no cracking on mine at all aside from the supports for either side of the legs on the driver‘s seat. Has anyone bothered trying to get their leather reconditioned/recolonised with success?
3) I wholly suspect I’ll need to make some modifications to the fuel lines/injectors or whatever before the E5 stuff is completely phased out in 5 years or so. What do people know what needs to be done to the Spurs of this vintage?

Think that’s all for now!

From your latest Royce owner (and possibly youngest…!)

Dan
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Gear shift Automotive mirror Speedometer

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Be extremely careful with the rear seat and cover it to prevent scratches and defects caused by overly beaded dress and the like. I have seen and heard the results. Be careful. You have a limited edition motorcar, protect your investment.
Only use organic conditions such as Connolly hide food or the like and read the label.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The lambswool overlays can definitely be cleaned. They can, in fact, be washed, whether by machine or by hand. The leather does "stiffen a bit" but I had lambswool throws/carpets/whatever you want to call them that I cannot count the number of times they were washed over a period of years and there was no damage whatsoever. You need to use something gentle, like Woolite or Ivory flakes, and only use a maximum of 2 Tablespoons, 1 is often enough, for what would be a large load in a top loading machine. The most critical thing afterward is to ensure you get them dry, which generally means days of drying time in a well ventilated, and preferably sunny/warm area. Even when thoroughly wrung (gently) or spun (and I'd suggest machine spinning even if you hand wash) they retain a lot more moisture than fabric does.

The magnolia hides with blue-gray piping is very sharp indeed. I have never seen any RR hides, besides those that may have "gone too far" without any care and torn/cracked, that couldn't be redyed. These hides are not vat died, but, for all practical intents and purposes, painted. With correct surface preparation (which is the key) they can be redyed. Yours, however, look incredibly good, almost untouched, and I agree with @Wraithman that you would be well advised to use a very thick throw (I'd suggest having a lambswool throw put together using easily sourced natural lambswool [see Ikea, for one source] that keeps your leather very completely covered with lots of cushioning. Most people find the hand of lambswool throw covers very luxurious indeed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Be extremely careful with the rear seat and cover it to prevent scratches and defects caused by overly beaded dress and the like. I have seen and heard the results. Be careful. You have a limited edition motorcar, protect your investment.
Only use organic conditions such as Connolly hide food or the like and read the label.
No Hide food on post-Vaumol leathers. They have Autolux and use the Neutral Leather Conditioner and Concentrated Leather cleaner offered by Leathercaredirect.com. Those guys are connected with Connolly and know what they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts