Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Rock Auto also ships world wide and that same thermostat is available from them for quite a bit less then the £31.
Something that small doesn't cost that much to ship if you don't mind the wait _ just a thought.

GATES 33218 Thermostat | RockAuto

Isdyl, make sure and test it on the stove with your old one as a reference.
I had a TR7 once, as you know was a very poorly designed engine that was prone to overheating.
I went through 4 Gates defective thermostats that failed to open on the stove.
Testing is a must.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Does anyone know a part number for the thermostat seal for a NAPA 136. I'm assuming a Stant or Gates one would fit. I can't find one anywhere. I note the Gates 33218 also appears to come without the seal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Yes I'm going to need a seal - I haven't thought about that yet! I'm also not finished researching thermostats as there are other routes yet to be followed. Behr/Mahle TX 17 80D for one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Rock Auto also ships world wide and that same thermostat is available from them for quite a bit less then the £31.
Something that small doesn't cost that much to ship if you don't mind the wait _ just a thought.

GATES 33218 Thermostat | RockAuto

Isdyl, make sure and test it on the stove with your old one as a reference.
I had a TR7 once, as you know was a very poorly designed engine that was prone to overheating.
I went through 4 Gates defective thermostats that failed to open on the stove.
Testing is a must.
Thanks - I think this one is probably coming from the US too via Amazon judging by the delivery time (10 days). That £31 is a delivered cost though so probably about the same. Good advice re testing it too thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
O rings are like bearings. There are common standard sizes by number code and useage. Google O ring chart. It can be helpful knowing what stock sizes are available based on your measurements.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Oh yes - must have been the Acetone/ATF! Still waiting for the thermostat and looks like I’ll probably have to make a gasket and the rubber seal.
I think that bit of heat helped as well, more then you know.
From my experience, it doesn't matter how good the penetrating oil is, no matter what the mix, heat is key.
Looked like you ultimately used some vice-grips to get it out ?
With that said, I will try the Acetone/ATF next time.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts