Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...... I have just become the proud owner of a 1980 SII. Haven't picked the old girl up yet but possibly Monday.

I must admit to having just taken a flyer on this car. Owned by the same owner since the early 80's with 60,000 miles. A no expense spared service history.

I know...it doesn't eliminate problems and I am under no illusion that there are probably many.

I know very little about them but have wanted one for a number of years.

The car is Moorland Green??, front Head Rest....not sure what else was std or optional.

I am a total car nut and own quite a few ranging from classic Minis to E Types and classic Aston and most in between.

Looking forward to ownership but thought I'd prime you Guys for a barrage of technical questions that will be coming your way through these pages soon.

Rgds

·
Administrator
534 Posts
Hello Viper,
Great to have you join us. Congratulations on getting a car with a full history, very wise step.

I'm sure she'll bring you much joy. And when she isn't behaving, we're here to help.

Stirling

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Viper,

I have a '78 Shadow II (that I took a *real* flyer on when I bought her and came out very lucky based on the horror stories I've heard).

I will immediately recommend several things:

1. Get yourself to the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library and download all of the workshop manual, parts manual, etc, for your car.

2. Be sure to visit the RROC-AustraliaTee-One Topics Archive and have a look at the index through issue 63 and then start reading.

3. Consider joining the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club. Their members-only forums are worth the price of membership on their own.

Have a great time with your new SY series car!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome Viper...

I'm around any time you have any ?'s about her as well as all my fellow members.. We are here to help!

Best Wishes on your new car!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome aboard, Viper.

Along with Guy's suggestions, the Aussies also have re-printed copies of Cal West's "From the Shadows Corner" available for sale. (It comes with another similar booklet whose title I can't remember.) Due to the very low volume they are a little expensive for the format (a plastic-spiral-bound set of photocopies), but I found the information in them well worth the cost. They explain some of the theory of the various systems, along with a bunch of maintenance advice (perhaps some of it is a bit over-the-top in terms of conservatism, but it's good to have a starting point). There's also a couple of great chapters on the issues modern (more volatile) fules can have on your carbs, etc.

What Aston do you have? I've always wanted one of the older ones but my wife has some issue with the DBS/V8 shape and the DB4/5/6 always seemed a bit too pricey. We compromised on a Vanquish, but it's not exactly something I can turn a wrench on.

Jeff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome Guys. My delivery has been delayed because of snow.

Jeyjey.....I have an 88 V8 Vantage X Pack which I absolutely love... a bit of a RR with attitude. Vanquish is a great looking car, agressive looks. Tried to get my Wife to buy one but she went DB9 but just swapped it in for a new DBS Volante.

She doesn't understand my Aston at all but she has her cars and so she leaves me alone.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hi and welcome
Just been looking at your Aston all I can say Lovely Car
I have Bentley and Aston Martin Vanquish S
Need any help if I can I will
Michael

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff....It's a dark blue metallic.....I love that car.

Michael......Thank you Sir......If I break down on my way to Cornwall I'll get in touch :D

Another Vanquish owner.......It's fast becoming a classic.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hi well yes if you brake down I know a good Garage!!!
Your correct there all so going back up in price
But I got it because I was told I can’t have one so as you do
All ways fancied an R but the wife pointed out that we need a 4 door so I got the RT and then had a play so it has a little bit more under the bonnet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts