Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My family owns a 1936 Rolls Royce and I would like to know more about it. I know there are people that know the history of individual cars and I was hoping someone may know about this one.
The car has been in the United States around 40 years or more.

I found some paper work that says its a 25/30 HP and the Chasis no. is GRM53. Body-Enclosed Limosine. Date of sale may 1936 . invoice #6680
Chasis delivered on 10,9,36 to Hooper. It has a window in the middle that rolls down and seats that fold out. It says long wheelbase, seats 6/7

on the inside of the door it says:

Motor Body Builders and Couchbuiders to

His Majesy the King
Her Majesty the Queen
H.R.H Prince of Wales
H.R.H. The Princess Royal
H.R.H. The Duke Connaught
Hooper & Co.(coach builders) Ltd London

I would like to know the model for certain. Is it a 25/30 or a more specific model? Where would the Vehicle identification number or other markings be found on the car?
I can probably find more information if it helps.

Does anyone know more about this car or its history?

Thanks,
Alan

·
Administrator
534 Posts
Welcome to the forum Alan, we'll see if someone can help with the info you're looking for.

Hope you'll stick around and we get to know you better.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Alan,

The chassis number is the VIN number for a Rolls-Royce of this era. According to the Rolls-Royce Production Figures at the Rolls-Royce Owner's Club Website GRM53 is a 25/30 that would have been produced in 1936/37.

The 25/30 H.P. is the specific model. Since this car was produced during the coachbuilt era it was purchased as a chassis and was then sent to a coachbuilder (in this case, Hooper) to have the body of the owner's liking placed on the chassis. These companies had close relationships with Rolls-Royce.

You can purchase the full set of build sheets for your car from the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club (UK). You do not need to be a member to buy these documents and they will tell you virtually anything you'd want to know about your car's earliest days (and, possibly, its first owner). I think the cost is approximately $80 USD, but you'd have to check, as it's been several years since I last looked into this directly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering,

I wonder if the photocopies I found may have come from the Rolls Royce enthusiasts club. They are a bit difficult to read but may be build sheets as they are about Hooper specs.

Before I assume that these papers I found are this exact car maybe I should find out for sure.
Where would these numbers be written on the car itself? (VIN or other identifying numbers).

I also want to be sure that the car is not a Wraith or other model. If it's a 1936 25/30 it can't be a wraith right? I saw "25/30 and Wraith" written down somewhere and it confused me a bit.

Alan

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
On virtually every Rolls-Royce I've ever seen that predates the SZ (Spirit/Spur) series, the chassis number is found on a metal plaque that's attached to the firewall. See the left side of the attached photo (the one on the right is a modern car plate).

Very often these plaques are silver in color.

If the chassis number is what you indicated, your car is not a Wraith. Wraiths do not have this chassis number series and were not produced until 1938.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

I looked inside the hood and found the metal plaque and it did say GRM53
A piece of paper in ther glove listed it as a 1936 model(entered in a car show).

So I can be sure its a 25/30. That's the model 25/30

It's a 1936 Rolls Royce 25/30

Then the other papers I found must be right but they are hard to read and I think just show the Hooper build information. I cant see an original owner listed.

They might have come from the Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club. I might ask if they have additional information but I dont want to pay for what I already have.

I think I have a better idea of what the car is which is good. I might ask around to see if anyone knows the specific car history.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts