Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum and to RR & Bentley cars. I am considering the purchase of a 1989 Bentley 8. This is a sad case because it was flooded four years ago and it has been sitting since.
I have many concerns about this car:
The Bosch Motronic ECU - can it be refurbished or replaced at what cost.
The electrical system - corrosion in the wiring not visible without removing the insulation.
Other electric gadgets.
The engine - The car was flooded while parked. I think this is a better prospect than a car that was driven into flood waters causing hydrolock. Still flood water could have found it's way into the engine through the air/fuel system or the exhaust system.
I would appreciate it if anyone here has experience with flooded cars and parts replacement and will share their experience.
Thank you
Oscar

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to the forum Oscar. If you search the forum you will find some threads by Richard who restored a flood damaged silver spirit. It’s not for the feint hearted!
I don’t think I’d buy a car like that, I’m currently restoring a Bentley eight myself but I was given it for free. Unless you have an emotional attachment to it.

Have a look here.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Begs the question....how much money are you parting with?
Bentley 8's can be purchased for far less in nice shape for a lower net cost than what you will drop into the flood car.....even if you got the car for $000.
Assuming you were well versed in working on RR/BB marques, you will spend many hours and thousands curing all kinds of issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if I avoid this particular car the information will be helpful when looking at a better one. If I know where to look for parts and their cost that would put me way ahead of where I am now, knowledge wise.
Thank you

·
Administrator
510 Posts
Fortunately you don't have to visit the dealer for most parts.

I like Hyphen Repairs in Ontario. Another popular spot is Flying Spares in the UK, and Replacement Parts Inc. for some less expensive alternatives (Google any of these with "rolls royce" in the search box and they should come up near the top, except for Hyphen. PM me for his contact info).

I've actually used eBay for Bentley parts a number of times with success. There is usually someone on there parting out an SZ series car.

Regarding the car you're looking at, I would avoid that option and keep looking. Unless he is giving you the car. Then it is worth taking it as a parts car for another, better car to start working with.

Take your time. SZ cars frequently come up at surprisingly low prices. I got mine for $8700 (1997 Turbo R) and it was in 'pretty good' shape with only 45000 miles on it. Though pretty good is still probably going to set me back another $7000+ once we're all said and done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oscar,
Welcome. You have gotten good advice here. I have an '88 Eight and it is a wonderful car. Probably the most comfortable car I've owned. As Stirling said, these are not expensive cars in the best of shape. To give you some reference, I bought mine from a Bentley dealer (in EXTREMELY good condition) for $4,000 less than the service invoices that came with the car.
One of these cars that has been sitting for 4 years is a problem, one that has been flooded is a disaster, one that was flooded and sitting for 4 years is not even valuable as a parts car. Attempting to get it (and keep it) drivable will exceed the cost of the very best Eight available by MANY thousands of dollars.
Flying Spares and Introcar in the UK are good for parts and have searchable online catalogs to give you an idea of costs. Bentley Zionsville (Indiana) is extremely knowledgeable and has parts usually at the same cost as the UK sources.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Oscar,

I'd be very weary of buying any car that had been flooded, but these cars are much more complex than "nornal" cars! How high did the water go?

The cars in general are great fun though, but not very cheap to run!

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank all of you who responded with some very good advice. I've decided not to pursue the purchase of this particular car. I will be looking for a better car so I will be back on the forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks David Watts for the Bentley Zionsville reference. Added them to my list of suppliers.

Daryl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts