Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the hot and humid Southern US!

Been a fan of Rolls Royce and Bentley motor cars since I was a child. Even purchased “Rolls Royce The Living Legend” when I was 10 years old.

Finally had the chance to purchase a 1996 Bentley Turbo RL with just under 49K miles. First purchase was a California Car Cover. Now to start work on little things like the 6 disc CD changer that will intermittently stop transmitting music, mostly minor things so far. (Although last weekend the Brake Pressure dash light started coming on when the brakes are applied).

All In All, excited to finally have a motor car that I have only dreamt about.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Brake pressure or brake fluid level?
If it's the pressure lamp.....it's a dangerous condition and should be attended to ASAP.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It could be front brake spheres, valve body, brake pressure switches, brake pumps....
Usually it is the accumulator sphere
If you bought it to a professional and have a warranty, bring it back asap

Where are you located ?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Have you performed a brake pedal test ? It may give you a clue as to the initial health of the system.

Let's start:
Run car in Park for at least 4 min.
Shut off motor and turn key to "ON"
Push brake pedal to the floor with a steady stroke.
Do it again and again coming to a rest, rather than continued pumping.
Keep track of the amount of "pumps" to illuminate #1 and #2 pressure warning lamp.
Let us know..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be front brake spheres, valve body, brake pressure switches, brake pumps....
Usually it is the accumulator sphere
If you bought it to a professional and have a warranty, bring it back asap

Where are you located ?
Just outside of Savannah, have an independent dealer that services most high-line British-German-Italian vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you performed a brake pedal test ? It may give you a clue as to the initial health of the system.

Let's start:
Run car in Park for at least 4 min.
Shut off motor and turn key to "ON"
Push brake pedal to the floor with a steady stroke.
Do it again and again coming to a rest, rather than continued pumping.
Keep track of the amount of "pumps" to illuminate #1 and #2 pressure warning lamp.
Let us know..
Thanks Wraithman,
Actually, I listened to your original advice and took the Bentley to the shop to have the brakes diagnosed and repaired. Not messing around with safety equipment.
Daryl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts