Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. My name is Nick White from Sheffield, Great Britain, presently in the grip of the Covid - 19 Virus (otherwise known as the Chinese Virus). I hope you guys are all ok?

I have a 1983 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit amongst other classic vehicles. She has been sat in my garage over the winter and during a very wet period since Christmas time, has not been started up. I left her in PARK without the 'handbrake' on and having now come back to start her up find the battery is flat. The problem is I can't open the boot (trunk to you chaps maybe) to connect the jump leads as she is tight up to the cabinets at the rear of the garage and can not for some reason roll her forward in NEUTRAL. Does the PARK mode apply a separate brake or does the ignition have to be for the PARK to be released fully?

Has anyone got any simple ideas to sort this without having to 'pull' her out? I saw a comment from someone suggesting the battery can be charged via the lighter? Other thoughts are using a trolley jack to enable a slight movement forward to get the boot u.

Can anyone advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The cigar lighter will back feed. Now you know why battery tenders are handy and shutoff switches Remember, the centre terminal is positive.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Your key is not opening manually the boot ? Possible because that's a classic, but please confirm and repair asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't open the boot because the car is sat tight to the wall at the rear and so not enough physical space to lift the boot!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
OK, any old (or not) car should be parked in a way that the main battery could be reachable easily...specially for several weeks park.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As a last resort, you can try and put the positive lead of a charger to the hot lead of the starter motor. Be careful in doing this, and only long enough to get the car out of Park. Be sure and chock the wheels before getting under the car to do this.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts