Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I browsed this forum for awhile before I joined. It's great to have a place like this to learn about the newest passion in my life. I saw her for the first time on the nearby Tinker Airforce base "for sale" parking lot about a year ago. She is a bright yellow beauty with very shiny chrome. I think maybe she is the 2nd or 3rd R-R I've seen in this state, and I was born here in 1954.

Anywho, I called the number on the dash and agreed to meet the man at 9AM the next morning. We met the next morning and I got my first experience behind the wheel of the worlds greatest automobile of her time. I was told to pump the pedal a few times to get her started. I did and she fired right up. I was surprised that a Rolls Royce needed a warm-up period before getting on the road. Reminded me of a few old Fords I drove back in the day. But I never drove a Ford , or Lincoln, or Caddilac that ran or shifted so smooth like this Rolls does when she warms up.

It was Heavon on Earth till we got off base and picked up a little speed. The right front wheel started making a thump-thump noise while the steering wheel was trying to pull to the right. He thought the brakes were trying to lock up on it. I told him that I suspected the bearings were bad. We limped it back to the base Hobby Shop. Put it on a lift and removed the wheels and rotors. After cleaning the bearings with solvent it was easy to see what needed done. The left front wheel bearings were almost as bad.

I told the man I will run to the parts store and attempt to get new bearings for it. 15 miles later I'm at my favorite Napa store talking to my old friend Gary that knows car parts better than anybody in town. It was my lucky day. He found the left and right bearings after much cross referencing through a whole stack of books.

By this time it is getting kind of late. The rush hour traffic was getting horrendous and I stupidly missed the first exit to get back on base. I had to goose my van up to 85 or 90 to get across 3 lanes of traffic and barely made the next base exit. While doing the hard braking on the exit ramp I noticed the blue lights. Looks like my luck just ran out. After pulling into the little parking lot in front of the main gate I waited for the inevitable let me see your license and proof of insurance. I had already rifled through the glove box and found my insurance card. Unfortunately it was expired. Of course he did ask for them. I told him I found my insurance card but the one I found is expired. I remembered getting the new ones at my house but forgot to put it in the van. We could call my insurance company and they will verify I am paid up and current. I then told him I know you have me dead to rights on whatever these many tickets are you are fixing to write me up for. What I just did was stupid and very dangerous. I guess I just panicked after missing the first exit. I am trying to get back to the base auto hobby shop before it closes. I explained what was going on with the dream car I was hoping to get. Then I opened my wallet and handed him my drivers license. On the other side of my wallet is a clear plastic sleeve/pocket that I keep my retired Navy ID in. I know he saw it. And I know it gave me another lucky break. Only this time, I'm not so sure I deserved that break. It's one thing for a realy good driver to be making good time down an open highway with light traffic and lots of maneuver room, but a whole lot different when your the idiot sliding across 3 rows of traffic at close range. Yes I got a warning ticket only.

And now to get back on subject for what is really important to this forum. We got the bearings installed and I backed the rolls off the frame. While backing off the frame tried to slow the car with the brake pedal, it went to the floor, car picked up a burst of speed , I had just enough time to appllY
the hand brake before backing . Had to have Rolls towed to my house.

I need to change all the brake pipes. Is the taperd part of the flare 37 degrease? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't panic (yet!).
It is very unusual for the fixed brake pipes if a Silver Shadow to fail. If they have, the car is likely to be in a terrible state and may cost more to fix that it is worth.
The fixed brake pipes are installed during the origional car assembly. It is not reasonably possible to change them without very major removal of engine subframes and many other items.
It is far more likely that the leak comes from one (or more) of the 12 or 13 flexible brake hoses or from the brake caliper seals. Get someone to look under the car to locate the leak. If one hose has failed, then change them all (the others will be just waiting to go). In fact, if you have no history that says they were changed in the last 10 years - change them anyway.
Have a read in the Driver's handbook to understand the braking system. The RROCA website is good for information (URL for the handbook is http://rrtechnical.info/sy/handbooks/1975e.pdf)
Don't ever compromise with brakes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you need to replace the fixed brake pipes..........
I forgot to mention that because of the very high hydraulic pressures involved, only RR specification brake pipes should be used and a special RR pipe flareing tool is required. do not use copper pipe or a proprietory flaring tool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts