Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
BTW your car has a filter element, not a spin on. You must install the inner bits of the filter assembly exactly or face major problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Use the Bentley Heritage site for parts diagrams and service info. Plug in your chassis number for the exact parts your car was fitted with.
Live this site! I had already learned a lot from looking at the diagrams. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Hood Automotive tire

Water Liquid Fluid Bucket Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Water Tread Wood
Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Hood Automotive tire
Water Liquid Fluid Bucket Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Water Tread Wood
Gas tank cleaned. Oil drained. It looked really black after 40 years. Couldn’t get the oil filter off so I will try again next weekend. Drained the transmission. Fluid looked pretty good there. Took forever to find the dip stick so I could refill the transmission. Turns out you have to access it by lifting up the carpet and pulling out a rubber stopper in the floor next to the starter button. New battery works. After market fuel pump works. Going to try to start it next weekend. First time since 1983! Any tips on getting the oil filter off or just keep wrenching in it until it breaks loose? By the way I do have a new filter on order from Bentley Parts USA so thanks for the tip on that. Should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It is a canister type filter with a removable element, unless someone changed it.
There are aftermarket adapters that were made to take a modern spin-on oil filter.

There is a large single nut to be removed and the canister will drop.
If it's stuck, some light tapping on the side of the canister with one of those shot-put mallets will break if free.
Be ready to catch the oil when it drops.

S1 Oil Filter | Introcar

Here's an example of one from Flexolite.

FA019: Bentley Contnental, R Continental and R-Type 4.5 litre (Feb 52 to June '54) and the 4.9 litre Silver Wraith with four port head - Oil Filter Adaptor Kits - parts | Flexolite

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Old filter out and new one in. There was only 1 small rubber washer inside on top of the spring at the bottom of the filter to replace. I’m guessing the rest of the O rings and washers in the replacement kit are for a different engine. Oil added. It took about 4 quarts before it started running all over my garage floor. Then I found the gasket on the valve cover hanging out and oil pouring out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design
Here is the out of place gasket. I’ll take the valve cover off and put in a new gasket as soon as I get one mail ordered in. Tried to turn the engine over without starting it and got nothing from the started. So next week I’ll take that off and get it tested to see if it is the motor, solenoid, or something else

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Had a few more hours last weekend to tinker with the Bentley. Tested the solenoid and it is done for so off to Napa to see if I can get a replacement there. I should be able to get anything that has connections for 4 wires right? Or is it more specialized than that? The valve cover gasket was hanging out so I ordered a new one from Flying Spares and got it installed. Not a lot of progress, but it is coming along one step at a time.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Light Automotive air manifold Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Light Automotive air manifold Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
740 Posts
Those starter solenoids are supper common on many British cars, like Jaguar, Morris Minor and of course Bentley's and Rolls Royce's. Many others that use a Bendix type starter.
Here is a Mini site from the US, that should work if NAPA can't supply one.
It's unlikely that NAPA will have a listing for RR or Bentley, but they may have one for Morris and/or Mini, maybe even for Jaguar, try Jaguar 340, Mark II, "S-Type" (not the new S-Type) all those models use the same solenoid. 1962 to 1968. (roughly)

There should be two large terminals and one small one that operated it from the dash.

Classic Mini Starter Solenoid With Push Button (minimania.com)

And a comparison from Flying Spares

STARTER SWITCH (Original push button type) (UD4181U) | Flying Spares

Your old one is probably made from cast aluminum, not stamped steel, and I have never seen new ones of the old "cast" type.
The small insulation bits break internally from years of use and can't be repaired as the unit is crimped together.

EDIT:
Here's another source; Moss Motors, it's even less expensive.

546-020 SOLENOID, starter | Moss Motors

·
Registered
740 Posts
When you start the car for the first time, start it with out the valve cover in place, let it run for at least 20 minutes and make sure there is oil getting to the rocker shaft.
It flows around the centre head bolt, in through the centre pedestal.
From there it goes into the shaft and out small holes into each rocker.
It then flows out the end of each rocker arm oiling the top of each valve stem.
Oil also flows out of the back of each rocker, oiling each push rod and the top of each lifter in the block.

Note that the guides and valves in the block for the exhaust are not oiled.

This oil gallery is the low pressure system and is prone to plugging from soot and not enough oil changes.
Be prepared to take the rocker assembly apart and clean it out. (do not get thing mixed up)
Look for very worn tappets from lack of oil, a worn rocker shaft and rocker shaft bearings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
View attachment 30919
View attachment 30918

Got the old solenoid replaced with a new one. Not the same at all, but I didn’t have to wait to get it shipped in. Going to hook it up tomorrow and see if it turns the engine. Hopefully I don’t have to get into the electrical too much, but I can take apart the starter button tomorrow if I have to and check the safety that prevents it from starting in gear. If it works I’ll get some fresh gas and see if it starts. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Got things hooked up and when I jump across contacts on the solenoid the engine turns over. It was glorious to hear that today! Now here is my question and I feel a little silly having to ask: there is a button on the floor I had assumed was a starter button, but I am now beginning to think is a dimmer switch. So how do I start this thing? Now I’m thinking maybe I just turn the key. I haven’t even tried that. Haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Started up the old Bentley again today with the goal of letting it warm all the way up and see if the wheels turned when I put it in gear (it is up on jack stands). It took a bit before it would idle, but I expect that with a car that old. The back wheels turned so the transmission should be in pretty good shape. However, when it got nice and warm, coolant poured out all over the garage floor. It looked like it was overflow from a line that ran from the top of the radiator down to the bottom, but I didn’t want to stuck my head under hot fluid to see where it was coming from. I also can’t get the radiator cap off to top anything off. I need to get a wrench that can get that cap off. What would cause it to boil over that much assuming it wasn’t a split line somewhere? (I’ll roll under it and double check when it has cooled off)

·
Registered
740 Posts
You need a new thermostat more then likely, that would be the next thing to check.
There is a also a special tool that's available to pull it out.

A non-functioning thermostat is the only thing that would cause it to boil over like that.
The rad would have to be totally blocked to cause severe boil over.
Unlikely the pump is the problem, but check the thermostat first.

The unusual thing is that if it is the old bellows type, they usually fail open, but someone may have installed a modern type which may have failed, at any rate an aftermarket one will be incorrect as the by-pass will not be there unless it's one from Flying Spares or Introcar, etc.

It's easy enough to check, remove the thermostat cover and have a look.

Go into your tool kit, there will be a special wrench to get the cap off, but don't force it.

If you can't get the rad cap off, how did you add any fluid, if you didn't add any fluid, that may have caused it to boil over as there may not have been enough coolant in the system to open the thermostat ?
The system is not a closed system.

That pipe that all the coolant came out is just open to the atmosphere, and after 12 years of sitting, it will need topping up, do not fill the system right to the top, just so you can see about a 1/2 inch of coolant in the radiator tank.
The rad's top tank also acts as an expansion tank, unless RR added a separate expansion tank on the Cloud.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts