Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came home with a ‘56 Bentley S1. It was one of many cars that my grandpa had collected over the years. After he passed my uncle ended up with most of the cars. I finally talked him into selling it to me and I picked it up from Salt Lake City last weekend. It will be a huge project since it was parked for 40 years, but I’m super excited to get into it and enjoy a piece of my childhood that I will always associate with family at car shows and riding with grandpa in his fancy old cars.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
You will find many Cloud how to videos from various sources on Youtube. Owner's manuals can be read online/purchased as well as workshop manuals. The RROC rolls-Royce Owner's Club can be helpful and very supportive thru the online forums with many learned individuals participating on a daily basis, with Bentley S and Cloud
discussions.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The 4.9 litre straight 6 in the S1 is much more forgiving then the aluminum blocked V8 in the later cars.
The down side of the 6 are all the head bolts, some 36, give or take.
They can make removing the head very difficult from electrolytic action between the aluminum head and the steel studs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the resources of information I have already seen here and look forward to interacting with the enthusiasts and experts here! First thing I think I need to do is get the car running. So I’m going to work on getting the fuel system cleaned out from the decades old gas. Is there anything unusual about it, or just clean out tank and lines, and replace a fuel filter?

·
Registered
599 Posts
The carbs float chambers should be cleaned and the pistons in the Dash-Pots should be made sure to easily move without resistance.
And when you're in the float chambers, the needle valves and floats should be checked for leakage.
Fill the damper tubes as well, they'll be empty.

The SU fuel pump will more then likely be frozen from oxidized points and very stiff diaphragms.
If you energize the fuel pump with no fuel, it should tick away very fast if it's healthy.

You will need to clean the points in the distributor and re-gap them at the very least, the condenser is probably shot too.
The coil may be OK.
Wires and plugs too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The carbs float chambers should be cleaned and the piston's in the Dash-Pots should be made sure to easily move without resistance.
And when you're in the float chambers, the needle valves and floats should be checked for leakage.
Fill the damper tubes as well, they'll be empty.

The SU fuel pump will more then likely be frozen from oxidized points and very stiff diaphragms.
If you energize the fuel pump with no fuel, it should tick away very fast if it's healthy.

You will need to clean the points in the distributor and re-gap them at the very least, the condenser is probably shot too.
The coil may be OK.
Wires and plugs too...
Thanks. I’m hoping to get into a lot of that this weekend. Will definitely check out all that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be very careful if you clean the pistons and dashpots. Don't use any kind of abrasive - sandpaper, steel wool. Carb cleaner and a soft cloth should be as far as you go. Also, if you take the piston out be careful that you don't bend the needle which is quite long and exposed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Having some compressed air is also very useful, I find no matter how clean the cloth and how much one wipes, I can always hear microscopic bits of debris when the piston moves.
Personally I wash them in a water soluble engine degreaser, and then in Dawn, and then compressed air in conjunction with a hair dryer.

When working with compressed air, always hold the work down on a bench, if you must free hold it in your hand, make sure to have something down on the floor to protect it, but even if you have something to break the fall, the exposed needle will get bent.
I always remove the needle for cleaning, it's up to you and how steady you are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking to pick up a tool set to work on this car. Were they using metric in ‘56 on these Bentleys?

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, many of the tools for these cars are BSW / Witworth which, oddly are neither metric nor SAE. You can get them through the Rolls-Royce Owners Club (as a member) and King Dick Tools among others. You might check Amazon for King Dick tools if you don't want deal with a UK supplier.

King Dick Tools
RROC

·
Registered
599 Posts
The ones from the RROC are from Britool, or at least the ones that I got from them are, that was quite a while ago.
King Dick makes a set of ratchetting box end wrenches.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
One set of tools should be a BA set. BA sockets in 1/4 drive and BA spanners. All the small fasteners are BA. BA can be found on Amazon or others. All fasteners are fine thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I stuck a wire hanger in the gas tank and it came out completely clean! I think it was actually drained when it was parked. I’m going to pull the drain plug in the tank next weekend and see it I can feel around for rust and gunk, but I think it might be in great shape. I might get a battery too and see if the electrical all works. What are the specs on the battery? Or do I just go get a good dry cell and it will work as long as it fits the space.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't waste your money on an AGM battery, buy a traditional lead acid battery. The charging system on your car is not capable of properly charging an AGM and will drastically reduce it's life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to Napa today to get an oil filter. Was told they can’t get one for ‘56 Bentley. Any tips on where to find one, or just search the internet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Working on getting the gas tank cleaned out. Looks like it was drained when parked so that is good news. New gas runs out the drain plug clean and clear so win win for me so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next question. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of where the oil filter should be? I think I found the spot on the right side next to the oil pan and the filter is missing, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Use the Bentley Heritage site for parts diagrams and service info. Plug in your chassis number for the exact parts your car was fitted with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts