Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Mohawk System 1A 10k lb lift is arriving next week. Replacing my Hoffman lift. This lift is a tank and considered the best in the world with a 25 yr warranty and ALI certified. ALI certified means 150% load rating.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My old lift is a Hoffman from Germany. It is unique in that it is a very rugged and simple design without hydraulics and can lift 5500 lbs. I had much heavier on it. It uses a long "corkscrew" in each column with a Sliding nut block . The posts are thick "forklift type" steel channel, not thick sheet metal. There is a floor plate that hides the chain that connects the colums. A 5hp 3 phase 3 belt motor has no problem getting the job done. It comes with the torgue converter which is easily worth 350 on its own. I'm selling it for 650. It has always been kept clean since it's painted white like the rest of the shop. The columns bolt to a "H" frame which is 1.5" solid steel and provides a rock stable foundation. The arms extend and are lo profile with new pads. The lift would take approx 2 hrs to set up.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Non hydraulic lift sounds interesting. I have an old rotary that belonged to a Mercedes mechanic friend of mine who has since passed away. He bought for his shop in 1981 and it was used in a professional environment. That lift has probably been up and down more times than the elevator on the empire state building. I got it in trade for an air compressor but it needed it a new motor and pump assembly and the seals rebuilt which cost me about $1200. It has no problems lifting my cars but has struggled in picking up my trucks.

A couple of years ago I found a great deal on a Challenger 4 post lift that's good for 12000 lbs. It has no problems lifting a dual axle 1 ton pickup and is excellent for transmission work or for my cars with air suspension.

Installation can be terrifying. Actually it was.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Each column on the Mohawk is 900 lbs. The only thing between the 2 columns is an overhead stainless steel hydraulic line for the second column. These lifts are 100% US made. Each anchor plate requires 8 3/4 x 5" sleeve anchors. The columns have to be plumb and plate shims may be necessary, we'll see. The lifting carriage rides within the column on large steel ball bearing rollers (8 each) no plastic blocks like many. The hydraulic pumps and cylinders can be rebuilt by any reputable shop. The bore on the rams are approx 2.5" .. crazy.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I saw this picture which reminded me of this thread. One thing that should never be overlooked is the strength of the concrete and the length of the anchors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's scary, the two columns should have been anchored at the top between the two, or to the sealing where the I-Beam is.
How far do the anchors have to go down into the concrete to avoid that from happening ?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no "top bar" needed with a Mohawk like other lifts. There is only a single stainless steel line to feed the opposite column.There are no hoses or cables either. It appears the wrong anchors may have been used along with poor (strength & depth) concrete).
The anchors are 3/4 diameter x 6" wedge type and if you look at "holding charts" for these anchors they are very strong. There are 12 per column plate. Each base plate is 20 x 30" and every piece of steel is 3/4".
Whenever you see heavy duty truck work there is a Mohawk involved, whether it be the Presidential fleet service bays (pics online) or local government fleet work. My lift does not move whatso ever when any of my RR's are at the top.
They are the strongest lifts out there and ALI certified to 150% rated.
It is usually the Chinese junk that fails like alot of the crap that comes out of that area. The reason you do not see many is they are over 3x the price of competitors, you get what you pay for. There is also a 25yr warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Problem here is not with the quality of the lift, but with the quality of the concrete/anchorage.
Even a cheap chinese lift would have failed in this environment.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly right. I had mine installed by the Mohawk dealer. The columns are almost 1000lbs each so I let his crew do the install. It took 45 min to get it up and running.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simply stated, I do not want to be under a Chinese lift!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True, another way to look at this, rule out the concrete, the installation, and your under a lift from the afore mentioned. Safe? Who knows? I like piece of mind even if it comes at a higher cost.
We aren't working under Civics.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Steel from China is garbage, a new bridge that was being built in the Capitol city of Victoria here in Canada B.C.
The contractor took the cheapest bid (not always a good idea) and it couldn't be welded, because there were so may impurities in it, they had to go to another supplier.

The Minoru box on our Ford delivery truck was made with Chinses steel, the Ford frame was perfectly fine with just a thin film of surface rust where the paint had worn off.
The frame on the box and pretty much all the steel that held it altogether, was almost rotted through, chunks of it could easily be lifted off with your bare hands.
If one tapped it with a wrench, it sounded like tin.

I'm not saying that all Chinese steal is bad, just the stuff that's meant for export.
China could not build it's cities with such crappy steel.

Screw drivers, taps, dies, bearings, junky lathes, all garbage from China.
Even bearings that are supposedly better quality are soft and poorly manufactured.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The Minoru box on our Ford delivery truck was made with Chinses steel, the Ford frame was perfectly fine with just a thin film of surface rust where the paint had worn off.
I'm sure that China is building plenty of bridges without issues, I was reading about the belt and road initiative a while back and it's amazing as to what they're doing in many developing countries, as well as the infrastructure that they built in their own country over the past 30 years.

As stated in your comment, it's not so much where it's made vs what companies here are demanding so that they can sell to consumers at a maximized profit. You always get what you pay and the bottom dollar will get you bottom dollar junk no matter where it's from. If it was manufactured here, it's likely be worse and cost more, as how it was before. I mean, when was the last time you saw an 87 Chevy Celebrity?

Even if it's made here, the parts are usually sourced from overseas. The trade war from a couple of years made that clearly evident.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For what ever reason, you are defending Chinese quality.
An 87 Chevy Celebrity was a homely car when new, it deserved to wrought out, it was a piece of crap from new.

That's my point, the Chinese know how to do things, but they don't seem to have any moral's, the shouldn't be selling sub-standard products, they don't really seem to care, meet the price of the buyer and who cares about anything else.

Our delivery truck was from 2001 and the body and frame was made in Canada, and there was no wrought, yet the box had some serious structural rust going on.
Who's fault is that, the Chinese for selling such crappy steel, or Minoru setting the price too low, and China said, "OK"...

If it was manufactured here like that at such low standards, there would be liability to contend with; no body would go there and yet it seems perfectly OK to ignore that when it comes from China.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That's my point, the Chinese know how to do things, but they don't seem to have any moral's,
Yeah I don't like generalizations that describe a nation as people with no morals. I expect that there are as as many immoral people here as there are there. My personal experience has been that I've never met anyone from China that half asses anything, but I'm sure they exist.

So who's to blame in your example? Well when companies source products, they send out an RFQ based on a spec which will be responded to. Whatever is built is built to that spec, nothing more or less. The buyer sets standard and the manufacture follows it. If Minoru wanted the boxes to use galvanized steel, they'd specify it. Should the manufacture insist on it? The manufacturer has no idea how the product will be finished once it leaves the factory and won't deviate from the spec. That's not their business.

You seem to be holding the contract manufacture to a higher standard than the company that sold you the product. You don't think the people at Minoru understand manufacturing?

If the factory in China was cheating it's customers, they'd very quickly go out of business because that's how these things work. You're missing that you're not their customer. You can hold Minoru to a higher standard maybe they'd hire Canadians to rust proof the boxes once they arrive and if their customers are willing to pay for it. Or they won't because there's a lot of carrying costs to hiring Canadians. The morality of it all.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The original thread was about my Mohawk lift. You should have re-phrased your comment to include the installation of the lift is equally important , no matter what the brand is. Unfortunately you picked a lift which is regarded as the best out there and there are people who would link a Mohawk with poor quality. This disaster was all about the floor it was bolted to and most likely the assumption the floor was suitable for a lift in the first place, which it wasn't.
End of comments for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts