Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest RR project, which I acquired in Dec 2019, is a 1976 RR Silver Shadow. I purchased the car in Bedford, NY from the family of a lawyer that was employed by Rebekah Harkness. Rebekah was once one of the wealthiest women in the world due to her inheritance of Standard Oil stock from her late husband after 5 years of marriage. She was the owner of this car and passed away in 1982. She owned many homes, the one in Watch Hill, RI, called Holiday House, is the largest on the coastline and now owned by Taylor Swift. Her country home in Sneden's Landing, in my county, is owned by actor Bill Murray. Rebekah founded the Harkness Ballet and was the subject of a book called "Blue Blood" honoring her favorite color blue, which happens to be the color of the Rolls, called Peacock Blue.
So here's the connection, Taylor wrote a song about her on her latest release called "Great American Dynasty".
Pretty cool!
Now someone make a movie about her so I can rent the car for the production.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nice story, It would be good to find out who owned all of my cars. I suspect all the PMC cars have a story to tell.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
What a "so british" story ...
Well done , you have at least 2 very special Rols-Royce.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Nice story, It would be good to find out who owned all of my cars. I suspect all the PMC cars have a story to tell.
It's getting more and more difficult to trace ownership history of cars (any cars) now that privacy has become such a big thing (and I'm not complaining about that).

I was able to get a lot of information out of the DVLA in the UK via an acquaintance there about SRH33576 and her early days, but I think the records request made to get them is no longer permitted.

While I always find the history of these cars, since they're so few in number, interesting, the majority of them were owned by the rich and non-famous or, as they age, the non-rich and non-famous (such as yours, truly).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have all the service records including the plastic charge plate for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've recently traced my car "Gracie's" history of ownership, from what I can tell I am number 5, the most interesting previous owner and the one who had her the longest (other than me) was a lady from PA who actually passed away last year, she and her husband were Ray and Thelma Holland of "Holiday Hair"

excerpt from her obituary...

Thelma and Ray both worked as hairdressers and, eventually, started Holiday Hair Fashions. From a single store on 19th Street in Allentown, they grew the company to 250 stores in a 6-state area with 2000 plus team members. Thelma also founded and ran Flowers by Holiday, a chain of flower stores in the Lehigh Valley.

Interesting to find this info 😀

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew of the original owner, Mrs. Harkness, and apparently, when Taylor Swift acquired her "shore home" she delved into the history and according to her they have similarities, hence the song.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Luckily in the service history is a list of previous owners Mine SRH26532

1st being a Rolls Royce Dealer in Halesowen from February 1977 to 7th March 1977
2nd Was a Mr W.T.Bell - Stoke on trent Ownership was from 7th march 1977 - 28th March 1987
3rd was Mr and Mrs LJ and SJ Carter - Caterham surrey From 30th march 1987 - 8th February 1990
4th was the Founder and owner of sunderlands bookmakers - Charles Densham I can only imagine him counting the cash on the tables in the rear!! 1990 - 1994
5th was Mr PN Blake and RS Holt 1994-1998
6th was Anthony Boroughs 1998-2003

she's had her fair share of owners!

Fastidiously maintained though..

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Henry, it's been awhile. Nice to hear from you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you Wraithman, it has been too long!

I do love the video you have on your Youtube channel regarding the restoration of your Shadow.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, more to come. The Shadow is very close to color coat. There were weeks of blocking, priming, sealing, glazing, etc. Re-mounted the doors and aligned. Sprayed all jambs, channels, etc.
The wood is outstanding and the final coat in the next day or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts