Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My 83 mulsanne turbo came to life this evening after extensive work on the solex carburetor. It goes like the wind but I'm not out of the woods yet. From stop there is a hesitation, back fire but once going the power drive is fluid. Could it be too much advance, timing off?
All suggestions/experience gratefully received.
Best regards Stephen mullan

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
It sounds like you may have a misfire. Check your distributor and all spark plug wires, and spark plugs.

I've only ever had backfires (and I'd think there could only be backfires) if there is fuel that remains unburned getting through to the exhaust system once it reaches a sufficiently high temperature to ignite it. Both the hesitation from stop and the backfiring are what make me think a misfire.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I would advance or retard a littlle until you find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, advance retard. The car wants to go, we're so close...
I'll keep this post posted.
Thanks again
Stephenmullan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
I've now been informed that there is a gasket under the solex bowl itself and the car will misfire and experience flat spots if there's a hole in this heavy gasket. I've had the carburetor removed from inside the bowl but haven't physically removed the bowl itself. Any steerage would be greatly appreciated.
Stephen

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Often overlooked are vacuum hoses. I would check every hose for cracks, fitment, etc. I would head over to the Bentley Heritage site and review the exploded diagrams to see what's ahead.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
And if you end up replacing vacuum lines:

1. ALWAYS replace only one segment at a time. Test, replace, test, replace, test, replace. If you do a huge number of segments at once, you can very easily introduce a leak yourself, or not know when you've actually hit your fix (and, thus, not know if you've accidentally undone it with a subsequent section).

2. If you are not trying for originality, consider using silicone vacuum hose. It has a virtually perpetual service life so you won't have to do this again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts