Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, hope you'll are doing good.

So, myself Sumit. I am from India and I will be pursuing Masters in Automotive Engineering in UK from the September 2022. Being an Rolls Royce enthusiast I joined this forum. I really aspire to work at Rolls Royce someday. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Sumit, all I can tell you are two things:

1. Remote work has now entered the mainstream, and there will be no going back. If you have the skills someone wants that's what is going to end up being the primary determiner for employment.

2. If your work literally requires you to be "in office" then you will have to go where the work is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My son is also doing engineering at Nottingham he is just about to do a year in industry for his 3rd year. His job is working in electrical propulsion
Don’t limit yourself just to the motor industry , there are may other industries aligned with light engineering and indeed with heavy engineering
Have fun !

·
Registered
424 Posts
I got my BEng and MSc from Coventry University back in 1999.
I work for Audi Sport but drive a Bentley 😉

You still have some industry left in the UK - JLR, Bentley, Rolls and Lotus. And also consultants such as Ricardo.

Best of luck with your studies!

Es

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I am offering to work for free to have some experience and increase my chances to get a permanent job in the industry, what do you think about it?
My experience and observation is that with the exception of formal internships, working for free doesn't get you anything. Volunteer experience is (unfortunately, as it can be very instructive) generally not considered "real" experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well to be honest, I am working on my skills so that I can join one of the OEMs in the UK and ask them to let me work for them at no cost, and that too just to show them my potential so it can increase my chances with them in future, Which approach should I go for? what do you suggest? getting an internship is quite competitive and also my course doesn't allow that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi again,
Coventry University wasn't bad back then, but from what I hear, many things have changed for the better.
I work in Germany, but did work for Ricardo for 5 years or so, albeit also in Germany.

Internships are a great thing if you find the right department. We always let the students do proper engineering work, with them taking over smaller projects or developing tools or equipment.
3 of the interns got permanent jobs in the department!

Es

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello @The_Nuge I am sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy with my VISA process and all my other documentation. I want to share something interesting with you, so finally I am going to the UK for my Master's, my classes have already started, and I am doing them online right now. I will reach there on 21/09 and I am very excited. Being an automotive enthusiast I always wanted to learn things this way.

Well taking note of your point, I am not gonna rely completely on the university for jobs etc, I know that at the end of the day I have to look for it myself. I heard from some seniors that finding an internship/job in your field is a real struggle in the UK nowadays and I am a little worried about that, still, I don't want to get resisted by these things.
I am gonna look for an internship first of all as soon as I settle down in the country, as I am a fresher It's a big need for me. Germany is my dream country to work in, I am also learning the German language, and I am on A1 level right now :)

Ricardo to Audi, well sir, you have my respect! It's a dream of any car enthusiast out there, I believe it was a long way, How's it? Could you please let me know some basic skills or any techniques (if there are any) to get an internship? I am brushing up on my technical skills on the daily basis to get into the field. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts