Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I won’t bore all of you with the details but let’s just say I overpaid for a car that was advertised on line and wasn’t really as nice as it was represented to be. I have spent a boatload of cash getting everything done to it that it needed and now down to the last few things.

I got it back from my friend and expert body man, Don Greenaway, last week. It had a rear quarter panel that had clearly been worked on before he worked on it this time. He said it looked like someone had vandalized it during a previous owner’s ownership. He also took all of the nicks and dings out of it, wet sanded it multiple times, and cleared it. He buffed, rubbed, and polished. He also refinished the wood on two doors. It looks a million times better.

I also got my interior restored after really screwing it up by hauling four new tires to the shop in the back seat. The leather dying guy charged me $125 to make it look perfect again.

I still have a “check engine” light on after it appeared the last time I had a bunch of work done on it. I have a new OBD cord for and my mechanic will hook up to the round (good) diagnostic port soon to see what we can find.

I still want to put some redline tires on it at some point in the future, respray my rear bumper cover, improve my stereo (speakers are old and 6CD changer magazine jams in the player and is hard to eject), and buy some good coco mats (sacrilege?) so I can retire my sheep skin mats.

Has anyone ever washed their sheep skins in a washing machine? I’m considering it…

Here are a few before and after pics of the back seat and some pics of the car.

Mark
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Wood Automotive design Building Beige Grey Wood Grey Vehicle Beige Automotive lighting Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
599 Posts
125.00 for the leather guy to touch up that leather is about right.
When I worked in our furniture store, our guy charged 80.00 per hour, and that was a little while ago now.

And what are you doing, a RR is not a truck, you should have at least put a bed sheet down and/or some packing blankets !? TSK TSK ! o_O

That nice fawn leather with green piping. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
125.00 for the leather gut to touch up that leather is about right.
When I worked in our furniture store, our guy charged 80.00 per hour, and that was a little while ago now.

And what are you doing, a RR is not a truck, you should have at least put a bed sheet down and/or some packing blankets !? TSK TSK ! o_O

That nice fawn leather with green piping. :)
Should have for sure! Dunno what I was thinking….

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone ever washed their sheep skins in a washing machine? I’m considering it…
I've not, but the guy I bought it off said that the previous owner had and it ruined them. He ended up buying a new set, which was a considerable sum.

I've attached the instructions from my service manual that I've rather crudely stitched together
Font Material property Paper Document Paper product

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If they have nevver been cleaned or wet, you should know wash or dry clean and they will loose their original softness.
Was is the worst because of what is inside.
In the past I have dry cleaned, it is the less agressive .
Frankly the less you wash them the better they stay.
If they are not too dirty, try to clean the dirty area with steam or a cloth a little wet .

In the future, do your best to preserve them because cleaning is not easy .
Even after dry clean, they will not look and feel like when they were new, the softness never comes back in my experience.
I had several cars with thos wonderfull carpet at the the end I became very protective to keep them pristine, including not getting in the car with wet shoes after washing the car for eaxample or putting a protection on the carpet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone tried dyeing their rugs? In its past life someone has split bleach (or something) that has stripped the colour off one of my rugs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone tried dyeing their rugs? In its past life someone has split bleach (or something) that has stripped the colour off one of my rugs.
I did it with my last Rolls. It had Red interior. I got spray interior dye and resprayed them. They looked perfect but were a little stiff at first. But yes, that worked. My current car has light tan rugs so I hadn’t considered it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I washed my sheepskins in the washing machine. After air drying and brushing they looked beautiful.
Took the insulating fillers out and reinstalled. The key was a new stiff wire pet brush while damp. Air dried
Car Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering part Steering wheel
Car Automotive design Vehicle Car seat cover Motor vehicle
Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Motor vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
when I got my Corniche I dont think the sheep skins had ever seen any love or care but had seen plenty of use and mud.!
Very dirty, matted, stained, a bit smelly, and the backing ripped and worn out in a few places.
When I bought the car I had intended throwing the sheepskins out and replacing them .

Then I read how to care for sheepskin mats ( general household mats)

I repaired the backing as best I could and have sewn on a few patches where the cloth was simply gone ( cannt be seen when in use)
I bought some sheep skin wool soap ( was in gel form) - specially made for washng sheep skin.
I chucked them in the washing machine for a light wash and no spin.

Laid flat to air dry on a rack so had air all round, then brushed with a stiff brush (i got it in a kit with the soap) and they look like new.

I did the other carpets with shake and vac - also came up a much brighter colour than before.

I think if there are no holes or rips, there is no real issue with cleaning them up.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi

I found the soap I used:

but cannt see the brush - it looked like this:

ttps://www.amazon.de/Lammfellbürste-Schaffelle-Universal-Pflegebürste-Fellbürste-Zupfbürste/dp/B015FYNMWI/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/257-6143978-1072510?pd_rd_w=kIq3g&pf_rd_p=289750ef-2548-403a-9263-64d1c3b3297e&pf_rd_r=W3G42RHMB5K5R2Z2K1QD&pd_rd_r=e4430c4c-332d-4ace-b9cf-64bfac31f4b5&pd_rd_wg=TQ5PK&pd_rd_i=B015FYNMWI&psc=1

but any short wire brush would do.

ceheers

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts