Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the top bells of my carbs today to clean and inspect them and when I put them back on the car it will no longer start. I have had it running with a lot of pumping and cranking and keeping the revs up while sitting there but even that fails after a minute. What happened. It seems like it is no longer getting any fuel. I can hear the pump running. Seems odd the fuel filters would decide to clog up the moment I clean out the top part of the carbs. What could it be? It was running okay before I touched it. I can't see much I could have screwed up. 79 Silver Shadow 2

·
Registered
27 Posts
Woody,

I would take them back apart and make sure everything is seated properly. If that doesn't help try tapping on the carb inlet filters.. I believe you still have those on Shadow 2's.. Because of your cleaning it may have increased your fuel flow into the bowl's witch is good unless your filters are old it may have sent debris into one of the line's. Try this and post a reply and let me know if it helped at all.. If not we can go from there.. When were the fuel fitters last changed?

·
Registered
221 Posts
minor carb cleaning

have you taken hose of at carbs from fuel pump to check fuel is actually getting up to carbs. obviously taking precautions to not spray fuel all over engine. may have to take oil pressure switch wire off to get fuel pump .
Does your shadow have su fuel pumps or rotary type.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is fuel getting to the engine. I found a vacume hose that was off and it seemed to run okay. 5 minutes down the road it stalled again. Did that 4 times till I figured it stopped running after the choke came off. I wired down the choke a bit and made it to a mechanic. There she sits waiting for me and a pocket full of cash.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mechanic said it was a problem with the vacume valves for the carbs. Something was lodged in them keeping it open. He said it worked itself out. All that info for only $150

1 - 5 of 5 Posts