Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks.

Just bought a 1985 Bentley Turbo R, dark blue with magnolia upholstery. Seems wel looked after but needs wheel alignment and a reapir / replacemant to the carburettor. Other than that, all fab.

Nor sure if it considered an outrage to "mod" these cars at all but possibly adding a small amount of nitrous just to gert ride of the turbo-lag. Have used nitrous before (still do on other car) and have always found it to work just fine so long as levels kept sensible. Turbo lag vanishes and everything just "perks up a little" ;)

I shall try and do the install in a very discreet manner (though insurance already notified), but at least that way it will not "look" different.

Having said that, the engine of the early Turbo R's is not exactly "pretty" with everything painted black anyway!

Kind Regards
Mark

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmm..........carburettor huh? All the 80's RR & Bentley's I've see in the US are fuel injected. What's up with that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't surprise me, someone else said that they had only seen injection on 80's and beyond overseas.

In the UK it seems the turning point was mid eighties. Frustratingly of course, the Solex is no longer made AND had a design flaw such that the body of the carburettor EASILY warped over time.

Luckily I have had some sage advice and comments from a few other folks who have had this problem - get the carburettor lapped carefull and then fit with a thick gasket and only use minimum torque + threadlok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts