Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long shot. My owners' manuals and user handbooks for my 1934 Phantom II (which belonged to my late father) tend to give different instructions depending on the chassis series. My chassis is a late one (RY).

Now, I need to get confirmation relating to the chassis lubricating needs of my car. It has a 'Lavax Bijur' system, entailing a foot-pedal operated chassis oil pump, which is to be filled with the same oil (SAE40) as is used in the engine. This pedal is pumped twice at the start of every journey to lubricate the chassis.

But the manuals also indicate that certain manual priming points need periodic lubrication with SAE20 with a hand-operated low-pressure oil gun. There are two diagrams in the manual to illustrate this. But it appears from Part One of the manual that the hand-operated lubrication applies only to the older chassis numbers and not to mine (RY). The following is what I rely on (under "Centralised Chassis Lubrication System" in Part One):

“A foot-operated pump, with which is combined an oil reservoir, is located on the front of the dashboard, and supplies oil under pressure for chassis lubrication. Diagrams of the complete systems, Figs 4 and 5 with their relative chassis series, show the piping coloured in red with red discs to indicate the positions of the drip plugs. The rating of the latter is given in parentheses against the description of the part lubricated. It should be noted that Fig 4 shows the Front and Rear Axle Systems coloured in blue and green, and that in the chassis series to which this applies, these systems must be lubricated by means of the hand-operated oil gun.”

Now, Fig 5 has the chassis series RY (a late series), and it has only red lines. Fig 4 has older chassis series, and has red, blue and green lines. This suggests to me that my car does not require the periodic manual lubrication of the axles with the hand-operated oil gun.

Yet the same handbook has a “Handbook Part 2”, “With Instructions for running and maintenance”, which is more particularised, but appears from its particulars to be aimed at the older series, as its discussion of the electrical system assumes there are “M, B and C” settings, which applied only to the older cars (mine has M, B and M&B). Part One distinguishes between the older series and has instructions for M, B and C, and the newer series, with instructions for M, B and M&B, drawing distinctions per chassis series (the older instructions on M, B and C apply for example, to chassis previous to MY-102).

Part 2 of this Handbook is also headed “Number VII (LH)”, whatever this means. This Part 2, under chassis, says “there are four points on the chassis which must be lubricated by means of the hand oil gun, namely, three on the propeller shaft and one on the fan. On no account should a high pressure be applied at any of these points, as it may cause serious damage.” This Part 2 appears, however, as I say above, not to be applicable in all its respects to the chassis series RY.

Can some knowledgeable person perhaps confirm that I need not direct those in whose custody my chassis series RY nestles to see to periodic manual lubrication of the pipe lines on the chassis?

Not holding my breath!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O boffins? Anyone knows who would have this kind of knowledge?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
It's worth asking on the RROC-Australia forums.

You might also want to check out the documentation available on the RROC-Australia Pre-War Technical Library to see if there are any service bulletins that came out after the Owner's Handbook.

There is also a deep well of pre-war knowledge in the RROC-US, and international membership, which gives you access to their online forums, is not all that expensive, even if you only join for a year. There's almost certain to be someone who haunts any one of a number of their pre-war related forums who might have the answer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's worth asking on the RROC-Australia forums.

You might also want to check out the documentation available on the RROC-Australia Pre-War Technical Library to see if there are any service bulletins that came out after the Owner's Handbook.

There is also a deep well of pre-war knowledge in the RROC-US, and international membership, which gives you access to their online forums, is not all that expensive, even if you only join for a year. There's almost certain to be someone who haunts any one of a number of their pre-war related forums who might have the answer.
Thanks Brian - my mechanic has his own 1935 Phantom II, and is checking it out for me, but I may get the official wisdom from the sources you suggest. Got links?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
@Vonkie

You can go to the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club of Australia main page and you'll see the link for Australian RR Forum near the bottom (by the way, for anyone visiting those pages, don't ask me why, but they did not follow the standard convention with regard to link coloring so that you can easily tell that things are links versus text, so hover over anything you think might be a link to be sure).

Here's the main page for the RROC-US, of which you must be a member before you can access their forums: Rolls-Royce Owners' Club - USA.

The Rolls-Royce Foundation, which is loosely affiliated with the RROC-US, can be potentially a great source for certain arcane information, as can the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club (RREC) in the UK. I do not know what the options are with regard to international membership in the RREC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts