Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a Silver Shadow II user based in Poland

Recently a manifold has cracked in my car during passing a kerbstone.
Now I have problems with welding the manifold because I am not sure what casting is it made of. I am not sure what cast iron is it made of so as to use the right diode during welding.. could you help me please?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The thing about welding iron is to preheat it and cool it slowly. If all else fails brazing should work well but still prreheat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The chances are that the result of any successful weld will be distortion. You will need to re-machine the surface that mates with the cylinder head. Even then you will probably have a weak spot that will re-fracture. I suggest consideration of a second hand replacement from (say) Flying Spares.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Woyac,

They are tricky to weld and seldom last very long,

Go for a used one.

However, the most important thing is to check your rear engine mounts. If they are separating, the replacement manifold is likely to break again.

It's hard to check them with the weight of the car on them, you need to jack up each side of the gearbox until the mount is no longer in compression.

If you have any problem getting parts out teher, feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

You were right - after a few months the manifold cracked :(
Now I have an opportunity to buy a second hand one at a very good price. The thing is that my LH manifold is provided with a choke stove (look at the picture). And the one I found is not provided with this device. Does it mean it will not match? The one with a heater is much more expensive :( and I don't want to buy it unless I have to. What do you think?

[/url]
[/img]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,

The bad news is that they are not interchangeable.

The good news is that they are the same item but the left hand one is machined to accept the hot spot. It costs us about £50 to have them done.

How much is the right hand one you've been offered? Is it in the UK?

We usually have one in stock with machined faces for the gasket, so I could probably do an exchange one if you needed it quickly or don't have a machine shop to do the work.

Regards, Paul Yorke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts