Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am waiting on my newly purchased 1986 Silver Spur and I'm extremely excited about it. I noticed the ride height is pretty high, probably due to Rolls Royce's goal of providing the best possible ride possible. However, I would like to lower it by a few inches. I have read various postings on this forum as well as the workshop manual. I understand the automatic height adjustment is provided though a hydraulic suspension involving mineral oil. My question is can I lower the ride height by changing the amount of mineral oil in the system or would it involve something like changing out the springs? Perhaps I can make an adjustment at the sensor? I understand lowing a Rolls Royce is probably not something most people will do here, but I am hoping at least someone can provide some information that I can use as a guide.

Thank you!

Victor

·
Registered
206 Posts
A couple of things to consider.

1. If your rear springs are in good order, unless you have a good weight in the rear of the car, trying to adjust the hydraulics will fail as, with good springs, height control only comes into play when the back is loaded.

2. Lowering the rear will make the drive shafts run at an angle they were not designed for and could create vibration.

IMHO, lowered cars usually drive like, how can I put it, c**p.

Jake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jake, Thank you for the information. You are correct, there are two issues, (1) lowering it and (2) ride quality. This is why I had hoped there was some adjustability built into the car so the ride quality would remain what Rolls Royce intended. If not, I was thinking the right replacement springs with the reduced height, but appropriate weight support was going to allow the lowering and yet provide a satisfactory ride. I have looked everywhere but I can't seem to find any documentation on exactly how the auto adjust height works in detail. I know whenever weight is put onto the back of the car that is sufficient to push it down, more mineral oil is put into the shocks, etc to raise it up. If I put in shorter springs and it's leveled and made sure the pressure in the system is still the same as factory spec, would the system constantly try to raise it or would work like normal only if additional weight is put onto the back? I want to retain as much of the original car as possible. I'm not trying to hack up the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alabbasi,

Yes, that was the fall back plan, but I'm sure if it can be done because I'm not sure how to disconnect whatever sensor the car uses to trigger the factory height adjustment. I also don't want to trigger any warning lights, but I haven't been able to find that there are any at this point. Finally I really didn't want to hack up the car that much and wanted to retain as much of the original car as possible, therefore the thought of replacing the springs. If that is possible, I will keep the factory springs and if needed, put them back to get the car back to original factory spec.

I noticed you are in Dallas, TX. I'm in Texas too. Would you know anyone who has done this to a Vintage Rolls? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I want to retain as much of the original car as possible ? Part of the "original" would be the ride quality which is a strong reason for anyone to buy one of these.
Now....if you have the resources, (time, money and talent) one could conceivably remove both front and rear shocks and springs, fabricate bracketry and locate a spot for the compressor and run lines which is the easy part.
A quick online search will yield several suppliers of air bags, springs, plumbing etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to retain as much of the original car as possible ? Part of the "original" would be the ride quality which is a strong reason for anyone to buy one of these.
Now....if you have the resources, (time, money and talent) one could conceivably remove both front and rear shocks and springs, fabricate bracketry and locate a spot for the compressor and run lines which is the easy part.
A quick online search will yield several suppliers of air bags, springs, plumbing etc.
Yes, trying to retain the original ride quality is something I am trying to do. I am hoping I can find or have springs made that are shorter but have the same load factor as the original factory, that way they will repond similarly and hopfully provide about the same ride. This way I won't need new brackets, shocks, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts