Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Shadow II I've noticed the oil pressure barely gets up to the white area, varying around the dark area below, even on high revs. On tickover it's almost at zero. The oil pressure warning light hasn't come on. It's nicely full of oil. Is this a worry? I'm sure it used to be in the white. I had a filter and oil change a few years back but have done only a couple of thousand miles since. Regrettably it spends quite a bit of time, especially in the winter, sat in the garage. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Any advice very welcome.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hi Dr Tony, Low oil pressure could be fatal. I worry when I hear that the oil and filter haven't been changed for a few years regardless of the mileage done. If you're lucky you may have a clogged oil pressure sender switch which is causing low readings even though the oil pressure may be OK, it's the larger and highermost switch of the 3 switches on your oil filter housing. If you unscrew the sender switch and clean out any crud using carb cleaner or brake cleaner and also check that the hole it screws into is clean. Clean the contact on the switch and the wire connection too. You may need a new switch if cleaning doesn't cure the problem. Hopefully that may restore the oil pressure gauge reading to normal, if not you could screw an oil pressure gauge with similar thread size & pattern into the hole where your sender unit is now located and get a reading of what the oil pressure actually is, that will determine whether you actually have low oil pressure or merely a faulty gauge on the dashboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dr Tony, Low oil pressure could be fatal. I worry when I hear that the oil and filter haven't been changed for a few years regardless of the mileage done. If you're lucky you may have a clogged oil pressure sender switch which is causing low readings even though the oil pressure may be OK, it's the larger and highermost switch of the 3 switches on your oil filter housing. If you unscrew the sender switch and clean out any crud using carb cleaner or brake cleaner and also check that the hole it screws into is clean. Clean the contact on the switch and the wire connection too. You may need a new switch if cleaning doesn't cure the problem. Hopefully that may restore the oil pressure gauge reading to normal, if not you could screw an oil pressure gauge with similar thread size & pattern into the hole where your sender unit is now located and get a reading of what the oil pressure actually is, that will determine whether you actually have low oil pressure or merely a faulty gauge on the dashboard.
Many thanks for this. I'll investigate the sender and get the filter and oil changed anyway.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hi dr Tony
The oil sender unit is quite crude and prone to sticking, try spraying some wd40 past the spade connector or drill a little hole opposite the spade and spray some in there see my video attached. well I would have but .avi and .mp4 are not allowed on here doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts