Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Gentlemen.

I'm doing some small Jobs on my Shadow and noted the Handbrake handle requires next to no effort to apply..

she had a handbrake rebuild in 2009, however the same year someone pulled the handbrake on really hard in anger apparently and it stopped working..

I've felt the cable that comes out the handle and it is there and it moves with the handle however it is very loose.
Also the cable in the engine bay is very loose, it seems to ride on a pulley which it comes off every time the brake is released..

Nothing is happening at the calipers..

Any Ideas Gents?

Many thanks..

H

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Mine is an SY2, but I don't think that the hand brake system changed at all (or not very much) over the production run.

Download this set of unedited pictures of the undercarriage of SRH3576 and unzip them: Undercarriage of SRH33576

Image 7 shows the armature about half way back the car that's responsible for pulling the cables for each of the rear parking brakes. Image 15 shows the parking brake cable and the part of it that engages the parking brake on the left rear wheel. Image 16 shows the same for the right rear wheel. Image 37 gives you a very good shot of one (I think there are two involved, and the other shown in an earlier photo) of the springs that provides tension for the entire parking brake mechanism.

You're going to need to trace from the back wheels forward along the cables until you find the issue, which I'll bet is a broken spring.

Reactions: Henry_b

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks

Great Pictures..

The springs will be my first port of call.

H

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Look at the center spring and parking brake linkage. It may very well sluggish due to dirt and corrosion and lack of use. The linkage is the lowest hanging fruit on the underside.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Wraithman..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts