Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about fitting a removeable towbar (just thinking) to my 89 Turbo R. It would be useful to look at a towbar installed on one of these cars (Bentley/RR 87 on 20,000 series). Has anyone got any photos and/or designs of these things installed on and off the vehicle so that I can weigh up how they fit and look on the car.

I have done a little research and it seems that there is a bespoke towbar available (at considerable cost) and so I just would like to see one first and get opinions.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill

Nice colour car and the wheels finish it off perfectly. Off roading too. Great. Hope the ground wasn't too soft. 4x4 is not an option I believe.

Will look forward to seeing any pics you have or can get. However. Don't think of this as a chore. Do it when you can or its easy to do. I won't be disappointed at waiting.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rob,

No chore, I could always turn the computer off and go down to the pub if I didn't want to do this! Also, I'm grateful to you for your post on fuel pumps. I did the same on my car.

I hope that I didn't give the impression that the tow car on the web link was mine. I wish... - I'm a bit further down the Bentley food chain!

Now for some towbar pics. Angle iron across the rear inner valance and forward to mid-way on the boot floor by the battery housing. They are a bit difficult to see, but the bolts show up better.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Bill

Sorry for the tardy response. Once again I have all the usual reasons.
I've had a good look at your pictures and at my car. I have a problem in that I have a rear spoiler that is attatched to the rear valance. I'm not sure if your type of towbar would foul this.
I was thinking of a removeable towbar. My spoiler has what appears to be a louvre grill in the middle 1 ft of the spoiler. I thought I might be able to make that removeable to get access to put the tow bar ball connection (on a removeable model) in. However, there are two problems to this. One is that when you get up close, it seems that this piece is not a louvre, but just a shaped set of slats that look like a louvre. They are all one moulding, but not what they seem from a superficial glance. Second problem is that the spare wheel carrier is right there behind the rear valance, so nowhere obvious to put/mount the towbar.
I think from this, I may be unable to mount your fixed type of towbar, and impossible to use a removeable unit also.

Maybe its a mod too far on this one?

I'll get a photo of the back skirt to show.

Cheers... Rob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts