Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve fitted a more modern radio between the front seats as I want to leave the 8 track in the dash. I realise now though that this thing needs a permanent 12v supply and thought maybe I could take it from the nearby cigarette lighter. Has anyone done this please, and/or how hard is it to access the wires please? Is there a better or easier way to get permanent 12v to this area please. Dylan
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You can get 12v from the lighter. Check when the key is out of the ignition. FYI modern radios do not like the speaker common, grounded to the chassis. The speaker ground has to float. There is a change over relay board behind the lighter . It senses radio vs tape changeover. I have a color code for the door runs. Use can use a modern radion but float the ground with a Scosche adapter.
In my 1980 SWII I left the cassette and Blaupunkt Blue Dot radio and installed a new CD/rcvr in a custom unit and have 2 power amps in the boot floor well.
My winter upgrade is to lose the car battery altogether and put another battery in the well for the stereo thus solving the "memory loss". Many hi-end car systems run on their own battery system.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that’s great information - many thanks both. I’ll investigate later. Dylan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts