Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Bentley T1 SBH1460
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been tyding up the brake reservoir as the sight glasses were quite hard to read and the external a little rusty,on lifting the lid the mesh it had a small screwdriver shaped hole ? but fairly clean next the aluminium splash guard securing bolt was missing strange but not a disaster. Fluid a bit dark but no bits and no sludge in the bottom good sign. Now the filters the master cylinder one mesh had sperated from the bottom plate ( rr363 eats solder?) No1 system mesh had 90% seperated from solder at the bottom plate No2 system no mesh present why would anyone not bother with a filter answer £92.26 each.A couple of hours later after a rummage in my scrap box and a session on the Myford new bigger finner mesh filters.As usual the allen head countersunk on the sight glasses rounded out despite a brand new key being used, heads drilled and thankfully threads removed with a easyout.The glass o rings had swollen greatly and gone very soft so possibly were the wrong material last time they were changed or that's how they go after 53 years .
Regards Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Bentley T1 SBH1460
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pictures showing the remains of the early bolt on filters and reservoir with a three bolt bracket and no level switches, remains of the sight glass 3BA screw and easyout (lady luck smiled at me that day).I can understand why they made the filters so they would collapse and rupture to restore suction to the pumps but why make them so small in such a good size reservoir. Has anyone else made replacement early type filters, I'm using 250 strands per inch mesh and shall check them in 6 months and if still clean every year after.
Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Bentley T1 SBH1460
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jim,
Your filters look great what size grade of mesh are you using, do you make a early bolt in version as well as the later screw in ones pictured. I'll remake mine in stainless if the design proves successful at the moment the cage and top and bottom plates are aluminium, 1 it's much easier to work with 2 I had a few bits in the offcuts box in the right size. Do you know at what chassis number they changed the filter design.
Best Regards Chris.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts