Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,
My Turbo R sat for quite a while and I've noticed the outside of the metal cover for the "Rat Trap" - the area that houses the brake control valves - is wet with LHM (hydraulic system mineral oil). I'm seeking advice on how to go about diagnosing the leak, or common issues in that area.

My plan was to remove the metal cover, spay down the brake valves / lines with brake cleaner (tetrachloroethylene) and drive the car to identify what specifically is leaking. I understand the brake valve push rods are designed to weep LHM for lubrication, but what I'm seeing on the rat trap cover is far more than a modest drip.

Concurrently, and possibly related, my brake pressure / warning lights come on when I step on the brake pedal, but go out after a second or two. This happens every time I use the brakes. I know I need to replace the accumulator spheres, they are long overdue. I would also like to replace the front brake flex lines as a preventative measure. I'm thinking of doing all this work at once to minimize the number of times I have to bleed the system. "While in there", are there other hydraulic system components I should refresh (e.g. caliper seals)?

Thanks for any thoughts, I'll try to add some photos soon.
Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Distributors under rat trap are made to have a calculated leak to lubricate.
This leak is a drop as there are no seals in those parts

All depends how often you see the drop.
Oil on rat trap is normal because of the drops falling down, specially if you do not drive the car often, because after one month or more drops accumulate.

Those distributors can leak too much from the axle, just study how much they leak with engine is on / off and when you brake.

They are not easy to repair

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a bit of a delay I removed the 'rat trap' cover to look inside. There was a large amount of sand/sediment inside the cover - it looks like it has never been cleaned out. I included some photos of the area before I cleaned it with brake cleaner:
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Wood
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then I cleaned the oil away with brake cleaner, let it dry, then drove the car about 10 miles. This is how it looked after cleaning/driving. It doesnt seem too bad to me but I would value your opinions on whether or not these valves need to be replaced, or if the amount of seepage I'm seeing is normal. Thanks!
Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts