Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Apologies for the delay in posting any updates. Work and life outside have been hectic. The Silver Shadow isn't progressing anywhere near as fast as I had hoped, but it is progressing.

I tackled the interior back in November last year. The interior didn't look too bad in the car, it was dry and cracked, but I bought some Connolly Hide Food and was applying liberal amounts on the times I was at the car working on other parts. I didn't see any marked improvement from this so I decided to remove the interior and go for a re-connolising. My main concern was some of the cracks were quite deep - these were in the high wear areas and they would just end up splitting.

Once removed and under the halogen spotlights in my wife's garage (her car on the street ........ didn't go down so well after days turned into weeks) the seats look really bad. Bought the kit from Furniture Clinic, watched their videos on YouTube and also they were available to answer any questions I had. Only thing I purchased outside the kit supplied was some rougher grades of emery paper for some of the bad areas of the seats.

I have no idea how much hours I put into these seats. A lot.

Pictures tell the rest of the story.

Other updates to follow when I get a chance;
Spheres strip & rebuild.
Brake calipers rebuilt (stainless pistons).
Height control system valves (resealed with seals from local seal manufacturer).
Steering box reseal (resealed with seals from local seal manufacturer).
Power steering pipe and hose replacement.
Brake and height control hoses replaced in PTFE/Stainless braid, stainless end fittings (carbon black wrap to have some original look).
Door capping re-lacquering.

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remainder of pictures. I tried to keep some of the faint cracking. I didn't want completely smooth seats.

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm not a friend of black leather car interiors, but this one is now growing on me!
Well done Scott!
I used the products from some german supplier (Lederzentrum), but I am disappointed with the durability of the result. All cracks started showing again after a year or so. Maybe lack of skill from my side, maybe the product itself?
Please let us know how durable your result is!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
One key to softening the leather after it is cleaned of grime that clogs the pores, is to continually apply conditioner with heat, either a small heater in the car or leave it in the sun and add until it no longer absorbs. Note: the original finish was not glossy and you may have oil based rejuvenator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nicely done and well done for saving it. I hate to see these re-trimmed, they rarely look right. I've saved much of our S3 leather from many years of neglect, just with Leatherique feeding and cleaning. Two sections on ours are are just too cracked though, what a shame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts