Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have just purchased this 1991 turbo am in the process of working on it I bought from a customer that totally didn't do his research in these cars needs alot of work just doing head gaskets as we speak I'll include some pictures it's quite a mission nearly there does anyone know of decent place for head gaskets the original composition look ok but does anyone know if the later multi layer steel gaskets fit thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Congrats, nice project! Yes, the new sandwiched gaskets fit!
Looks like both hydraulic pumps are leaking. There's a lot you can do between the ''Vee'' while you have it open, and when you're pulling the heads. new valve stem sealy may be a good idea for a 25y old car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jp_corniche I was hoping the mls gaskets work I think they handle pressure and heat much better than the old composite ones and yes definitely doing pumps while there the turbo looks like a right bugger to remove will hopefully have heads off tomorrow (Monday) will put some more pictures up just one more thing is it worth sending turbo away to be checked? I don't know life span on these the car actually drove fine 70k on clock no smoke but it had been overheated and I wasn't gonna chance the gaskets

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry pps does anyone know about Central locking? It won't lock all doors but open them all? And 2 button alarm fob works but car doesn't respond there are a few more problems but don't want to do too much at once cheers guys for help so far ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
welcome to the club! My central locking did the same so I ordered a brand new keyless system to retrofit. I will install it last winter, so he says....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG the bentley was never meant to be taken apart with the engine in lol some of the bolts especially the exhaust and turbo ones are in ridiculous place ? but I've only spent a few hours on it and I'm getting there slowly very slowly lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
OMG the bentley was never meant to be taken apart with the engine in lol some of the bolts especially the exhaust and turbo ones are in ridiculous place ? but I've only spent a few hours on it and I'm getting there slowly very slowly lol
Most modern vehicles are not meant to have major engine work done on them while the engine is in place and Rolls Royce is no exception.

You have to remove the engine on a 4 litre Ford Ranger to replace the rear timing chain guides and dropping the oil pan is almost impossible.
They say if you lift the engine/trans off all their mounts, you can gain enough clearance.

It's not just RR, but I'm sure if there was a contest RR would win the prize for engine bay inaccessibility. :lol:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
. . .but I'm sure if there was a contest RR would win the prize for engine bay inaccessibility. :lol:
Oh, heavens, not even close!! (Or at least through the SZ era they're not even close).

There is a special place in **** for engineers and corporate executives that insist on maximizing the efficiency of manufacture/assembly only while making routine maintenance, let alone major maintenance, an exercise in torture!!

We've got space galore compared to most contemporary cars, and even some going back to the late 1980s.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the story so far lol removed turbo and by God it weighs made from British steel lol and got head nuts off but nearside head won't budge stuck on one bloody stud lol so have soaked in wd40 now just removing offside but the more I look the more I think it would have been easier just to drop engine and trans out on subframe? Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well the story so far lol removed turbo and by God it weighs made from British steel lol and got head nuts off but nearside head won't budge stuck on one bloody stud lol so have soaked in wd40 now just removing offside but the more I look the more I think it would have been easier just to drop engine and trans out on subframe? Any thoughts?
I've haven't heard of anyone ever dropping the engine to do heads - I had my head gaskets done in January and it wasn't a topic for discussion. It's not a requirement to remove the turbo out of the bay either - at least not on my car - and I suspect, as a later (1996) Continental R, almost certainly has more clutter and less space in the engine bay than a 1990 turbo R.

Seriously, when compared to other exotica, the RR and Bentley engine bays are pretty accessible - try any of the Italian exotic stuff to really experience awkward nightmare accessibility. And, as others have pointed out, much modern stuff too - I ran a VW Touareg V10 Tdi for a while and there were many many jobs that require engine and subframe dropped. eg. turbo replacement - no issues on the Bentley, one of the most accessible turbos on any car ever made!!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well finally after a hard slog got the other head off really was struggling but a work colleague stayed late to give me a hand today it took us over 2hrs of working the cylinder head on the stubborn stud but hey it's off now going to give them to our machine shop on Tue so he can rework them complete overhaul talkin of that have decided to take engine out next week that way it'll be a complete refresh new hoses and wot nots if anyone can think of anything else I could do with engine out drop us a line cheers guys will post some pics tomorrow

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did they still have crank sludge traps on these later engines _ if they did, that's something to look into ?

They called them sludge traps, but I still think it was done to lighten the crank _ just my opinion.
At any rate with the engine out, it would be a lot easier to remove the pan and clean them out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here are pics showing offending stud grrrr lol 10pm last nite we went home so definitely next phase gearbox out engine out this will make it such a better job as you say give it proper check over clean everything down INC engine bay will keep you posted thanks for help and input guys/girls ?

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's a long haul, that's for sure. Turbo variants are a RPITA on top.

Brake pump body seals.
Is there any sign of a water leak from the water pump? (tell tale hole on the underside rusty or a sign on water trails from the bottom of the pump going down over the bottom pulley) Why did the car overheat?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for response chaps yes found the reason it got hot inlet manifold gaskets had gone across waterways so water straight into inlets bummer but anyway taking engine and gearbox out next week will keep you updated and post more pictures again thanks for the replies and interest

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes definitely going to keep this one when done maybe jumped the gun as my friend owns his own body shop mainly custom bikes his paintwork is top notch saw him today got chatting worked out a deal and a paint job ensued lol so now maybe engine out then to painters we'll see lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So how did you spend your bank holiday I went to work lol engine ready for removal phew gearbox removal was interesting the 2 rear engine mounts have to be removed to lower engine to access gearbox bolts here are some pictures

Attachments

1 - 20 of 198 Posts