Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up the pieces in London...

I had the choice and didn't hesitate a second! :)

·
Administrator
458 Posts
Welcome to our first Bavarian! Thanks for joining the forum Jim, we look forward to getting to know you better and talking about all things Rolls-Royce. Feel free to post more pictures of the Spur.

It seems that Germans privately importing RR's from the UK is a trend on this board. You British better lobby Tony to pull you out of the EU before all your cars are gone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think the fact they are all RHD turns a lot of people off.

Being a Brit though, and having grown up with RHD and had plenty of practise since with LHD I can confidentally drive anything as long as it has a steering wheel somewhere!

·
Administrator
458 Posts
That's true. Though, Japan is a RHD country and they seem to love LHD cars, at least if its European or American in origin. I've imported three cars (not RR or B) from Japan and had no trouble finding LHD.

In Canada now we're seeing a lot of RHD cars come in from Japan too. Mostly Nissan Skylines. It must be havoc driving in Vancouver with all these 280HP 4WD Nissans and the driver sitting next to the curb.

Has anyone on the board imported a Rolls-Royce or Bentley from Japan?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi folks!

When picking up the Silver Spur in London, plans were after getting the car to go directly into the City and stay there for a day.

To be honest: I never drove a Rolls-Royce myself before. I started loving exactly this type of car when I was at the Penninsula in Hongkong in 1990 and got driven around with it.

Since then I had this type of Rolls-Royce in mind. Now I had one myself. But this thing is huge the first time you drive it. I came in from a right hand drive country just two hours ago and now I was supposed to drive an oil tanker on the wrong side of the street AND sitting on the wrong side as well? No way! So we skipped the city and headed off for Dover. I tell you I was sweating! The friend of mine always kept saying "stay on the left hand side, now you must turn to the left and STAY there and must not move to the right when cornering"!

It would have been a major catastrophe if I had gone to the City of London. Finally we reached M25 south of London an immediately I enjoyed the smooth ride with this big ship. I could test all the equipment and experienced that all of it worked fine - climate and cruise control were great to use! I felt good driving home in my very own dream car. It only took me seventeen years to get one - proud I was - others maybe never would fulfil such dreams.

Arriving in Dover I got keen and found it a pity not had gone to "Lunden". :) Still it was the best choice and I did never really regret going home immediately. We took a late ferry and after reaching Calais we drove directly to Liege to stay for the night.

The next day was easygoing with the cruise control set to 60-65 mph which gave an average of less than 17 Liters per 100 km. We don't do this mpg-thing in Germany - whoever wants to convert that to US or Imperial gallons of pertrol/gasoline usage may feel free. 3,8 liter to the US or 4,2 liter to the Imperial gallon and 1,609 km to the mile. Go ahead! :)

Today after 3.000 miles with the car I already enjoy driving in big city traffic - I have absolutely no problem with the size of "Emily" - which is her name now. New tyres and new brake hoses were all what was needed so far. Sheer driving pleasure! Oooops - wasn't that a BMW slogan? :) Okay, they own Rolls-Royce, I can live with that.

Bye for now, JimKnopf

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can imagine central London for a foreigner in a RHD oil tanker car is pretty scary. When I first passed my driving test London was pretty scary even on a sunday in a Triumph Toledo!

Exactly where did you collect the car from Jim, I know South and SE London very well...Lived there from up to the age of 21.

I've stayed in Liege too on the way over to the UK. It's pretty much mid way from South and East Germany isn't it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
East Croydon & Liege

Henry Perkins said:
Exactly where did you collect the car from Jim
The picture above when picking up the car was taken in East Croydon at the seller's home - since it was a Saturday.

I've stayed in Liege too on the way over to the UK. It's pretty much mid way from South and East Germany isn't it.
Yes it is almost half way, that's what we figured too when we made plans for the overnight stop. Since we were starting off early it was an easy day for two drivers to do the rest of the trip back to Munich. I guess it must have been around 700 to 750 km.

I enjoyed riding on the back seat and could easily lie down - the Spur has plenty of room for one person. Also it was most likely the last opportunity for me to be driven in that car. From that day on it became an owner driver sedan. :)

Bye, JimKnopf

·
Registered
62 Posts
East Croydon eh! My dad lives not far from there in Penge SE20. I try not venture further than Bromley if I can avoid it! But clearly there is the odd person with car taste in E Croydon.

For me the trip from Calais to Chemnitz is 550 miles, that's about 880 km isn't it? It takes me 9.5 hours to get from Chemnitz to Calais with the odd comfort break and lunch. I have done it a few times on my own without an overnight! In fact, I've done it in a diesel van too which wouldn't do more than 65mph and broke down twice. As a result of that, I was on the road for 23 hrs with no sleep and very little sleep before the start of that period! I trust the Silver Shadow journey in spring will be more comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts