Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi rockers were removed so both valves closed -you can feel it tapping the head i just need to find out why !
this happed while it was ticking over. It went from silent to sounding like a ball bearing in a can with in like 10 secs but the noise is the piston tapping as it gets toTDC
I have all the replacement parts on the shelf -crank -Conrods - pistons. I just need to know what changed in a perfectly running engine for the piston to start tapping !
over the weekend I will use a DTI gauge and measure the lift of each piston

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the valve is bent then it won't seat properly and the piston will still be hitting the valve, it depends what the tolerances are.
You would have heard it in the exhaust, but not so much in the intake.
Ay any rate it will be interesting to see what the problem is.

·
Super Moderator
857 Posts
If the rod bearings are not shot, and I think you mentioned they were fine, then it is likely the piston has broken at the top ring groove. I have come across the same situation where a piston has cracked at the top ring groove but not all the way around so the part of it no longer attached will bend up and hit the head.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not arguing with you Jim, but that's not supposed to happen to a RR piston, I would expect that of my crumby TR7 when I had it, and that car was abused.
Maybe that happens with boutique engineering, the quality control isn't there because things are made in such small batches.
A friend of mine wasn't impressed with Eggy Machine shop pistons, one of them totally let go later on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not arguing with you Jim, but that's not supposed to happen to a RR piston,
IMHO it depends of engine load. Bentleys, driven with turbo compressor have a lot more heat loads than non-turbo. It is why they could have head gaskets and, possible, pistons problems.

EDIT: ah! It is model Eight without turbo... :?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok so factory fresh engine back in and she’s running again (she runs near silent ) but not very smooth — not Swiss watch more cortina.
but she was never as smooth as my Brooklands to start with so although I changed the fuel filter /fuel distribution block / distributor caps / rotor arms /iridium plugs at last service so 8 months ago -I’m going to renew all the ign and fuel side as a major service - so again all the parts mentioned apart from fuel distribution block plus a new rebuilt distributor( original is rough when turned by hand)- 2new coils / 8 new injectors /air filter / complete new plug lead set

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The original problem seems to be gudgeon pin related. Both Pistons A1 and B1 was/is rotating the pin in the piston the little end is slightly stuck and something that has to rotate takes the path of least resistance - so I suspect slight piston/ gudgeon pin wear but have not had the time to 100% confirm but 2 new piston /con rods during rebuild has returned the status quo

41 - 48 of 48 Posts