Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi thanks for your reply.
car has a new rad. When I got the car the rad was in a right Mess -not had her to long Few months. But as seems usual with these cars she’s had a fair bit of neglect.
I did consider pulling the sump to see if she could be saved but decided to just get another engine.
I can then decide what to do with this one.
if she’s not to bad I might do a full rebuild inc porting the head and cutting 3angle valve seats etc to let her breath a bit easier then swop her over again -but that’s pie in the sky till I get her running again

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok work allowing I hope to put the replacement engine in on sat so a question to anyone who has done this before it’s going back in via the top is there anything I can’t pre fit -ie can starter be fitted /manifolds fitted

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Install starter and exhaust manifolds now, it gets real tight later. BTW, you will need new exhaust manifold gaskets. Do not overtighten the exhaust manifold bolts...there is a reason.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi thank you. Was hoping I could put them on pre installed
yer manifold bolts are something like 13lb. I have the printed off sheet at the unit.
question why the 2 different bolts ??

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Can't answer, sometimes the depth is critical to the block..pay attention to this. RR is crazy with their hardware. Whenever I do a teardown, I document bolt locations and sometimes have to compare what is there with the factory parts listings for accuracy.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I can pretty much guaranty that all these aftermarket products have not been tested, that's why dealer parts are usually triple the price.
And I can pretty much guarantee you that no wax pellet thermostat has been pre-tested. They're mass manufactured items with an incredibly small failure rate and it would not be cost effective to individually test them.

As an aside, I'll never put a Crewe Original, lead-pellet type thermostat in any of my cars ever again. Talk about nightmares prone to failure from multiple angles. I've seen several stuck open from galling, the one that had been in LRK37110 was missing all of its lead pellets with zero evidence of any overheating incident, and other "interesting" developments. The lead pellets themselves were a band-aid for the galling issue, which should have been solved but never was.

But I agree that one should always do a stove top test on a new thermostat. It's simple to do and gives you lots of peace of mind.

Thermostat Issues and Selection

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So the new engine went back in today tomorrow I’ll fit the gearbox/wiring etc and probably finish up Monday then at some point I’ll have a look at the original and see whats going on

21 - 28 of 28 Posts