Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivers floor has a big rectanglular panel about where the heel would go.

It doesn't follow the contours of the pressed floor. Looks like the floor might have rotted and someone stuck the metal over the rot.

Is this standard by any chance????? Please. :oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Cant really see anything from under the car since the cover that protects the brake bits is there.

The plate looks as though its an after thought. There are bolts going through it in places probably to mount the brake bits (sorry not very mechanically minded)

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Viper said:
Thanks for the reply.

The plate looks as though its an after thought. There are bolts going through it in places probably to mount the brake bits (sorry not very mechanically minded)
I'd have to presume this was either a repair or revision by some previous owner to allow access from above to the "rat trap". Yes, that's the common colloquialism for the brake actuation mechanism (and once you see it in all its Rube Goldbergian glory you'll know why).

These cars were notorious for rust and the floor pans were one of the areas quite prone to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh....That's a pity. Seems strange that it would have rusted to the extent that it would need such a repair as the rest of the car is very good.

Mind you if water sat all year round then it does lots of damage.

I'd prefer to think of it as an "access to the rat" mod. 8)

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Viper,

Think of it as whatever you like, since it's never going away!! ;-)

I have seen at least one original series Shadow that was a "fish tank." The seals on it had gotten so bad that if it was left outside in the rain puddles would form in the rear footwells behind the front seat.

Of course, given how these cars were made and the amount of padding beneath the carpeting you know that this stuff stayed quite wet long after the surface carpeting was dry as a bone.

If these cars could talk. . .

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would say it is there for easy access as the cover under the car would stop water getting to the floor pan and looking at the car it isn’t a rust box and it is bolted not welded

If the plate is tatty have a nice one made and paint it gloss Black
Will look ok then

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes...might make more of a feature of it.

Failing that I might go buy a gallon of fuel and a box of matches. :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shadows and Spirits are notorious for the foot wells completely rusting out.

Many were actually replaced by main agents when the cars went in for servicing . . . . without informing the owners!

You would need to post a photo to be sure, but normally there is no accress plates there.

The do indeed rust from the inside outwards. All owners should check them annually and prime/paint them as necessary.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes this is a plate that shouldn't be there I'm sure.

Its a solid plate but a plate none the less.

I don't like plates......has put me off the car TBH

How much of a job is replacing said floor panel?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It depends how much you want to replace.

Drivers side is trickier because of the pipes etc running underneath,

If it only the front that's gone (it usually is) you can replace the front foot or so without taking the seat out, otherwise it is much more work.

With patience you can cut out the whole panel which is spot welded every inch or so. UK MOT regulations say that it has to be continuously welded when carrying out repairs, so can be tedious although the repair should not be viable if done correctly.

Sometimes the repair sections are galvanised so there's lots of grinding back to be done and respiration masks needed while welding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well to cut and replace from the front of the seat forward.........is that something you can do and what sort of cost?

Might be worth doing passenger side while we're there.

Then stop the leak :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes it is something that we do fairly regularly. Each job is different so tricky to price without seeing it. Can you send or post a picture of what is there.

Certainly worth checking the other side and rustproofing it now if it isn't rusted!

Regards, Paul.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts