Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum, though not all that busy, used to be pretty much limited to "on topic" posts. Since the advent of the new forum I am seeing what are definitely spam posts on almost a daily basis.

Does the sign-up process for a new userid not include the use of a Captcha? It's been a long time since I signed up under the original forum software, so I have no idea what is used now. If it does not include Captcha, you might want to consider it. If not that, then whatever method you wish to prevent the creation of userids for spam machines. The volume of spam suggests these are "bot" registrations.

·
Administrator
412 Posts
The old forum had a question that could sensibly only be answered by a human. If it wasn't answered correctly, the new user never had the opportunity to post.

This led to a lot of spam users, but no spam posts.

That functionality seems to have been lost in the move to the new forum. Ironic, as the move to the new forum was supposed to battle spammers.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I also don't like it and also if you look a lot of other users don't use it
I don't like spam and it is full of it also we used to get emails when a post is answered and am thinking of leaving
Michael

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
. . . also we used to get emails when a post is answered and am thinking of leaving
Michael
You can still do this, either on an individual thread basis or for any thread on which you participate.

If you want to get e-mail only for specific individual threads, scroll down below the area you're typing your text in and look for "Thread Subscription" under the "Additional Options" section and choose the frequency of e-mail notification you'd like to receive from the dropdown list.

If you want it for all threads on which you participate, then go to the User Control Panel (User CP link at upper right of main page), select Edit Options, then look for the Messaging and Notification area. There's a dropdown list in that section entitled "Default Thread Subscription Mode." It has the same options as the dropdown for individual thread subscription mentioned above, but applies to any thread that you start or join in on.

Having just taken a look at the current "Register" page it's obvious that the "Social Sign In" can easily be used by bots, particularly the Google+ option. I personally hate these types of login options, but they look like they're gaining traction. Maybe they'll fall out of favor once sites realize that all it takes is one human to set up a Google+ ID that can then be used by spambots to do what they do, and that multiple bots could use a single "social" login ID.

Brian, who knows that spambots are masters of hiding their true identities and exploiting loopholes

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there a way to route all first posts into a folder for review by moderators? The common denominator to all of the spam that I've noticed, is that they are 1st posts.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a way to route all first posts into a folder for review by moderators? The common denominator to all of the spam that I've noticed, is that they are 1st posts.
That's an excellent idea, provided there is someone who can actually do the initial moderation.

I've noticed precisely the same thing you have. These are always first posts and, if memory serves, there are never any that follow. Logistically it should be easy to stop this if someone is available to do first post moderation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts