Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a drive to a city about 40 miles away today The roadway speed limit is 80 MPH. I started out at an elevation of @3000 feet and climbed to an elevation of @6500 feet above sea level. Numerous long hills had to be climbed at road speed.
In most of the long hills I noticed that the power of the engine just wasn't there to keep up to road speed even when planting the pedal to the metal. The car would just barely make 75 MPH on two of the hills. Every thing else seemed normal.
Now I realize that at an elevation of 7500 feet any normally asperated engine will only produce 75% of its sea level horsepower but I would have thought that a Rolls would be able (even at 75% power) to keep up to road speed.
Checked gas mileage when I returned later in the day and it was @ 12.5 MPG for the trip.

Anyone with any experience or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
In >89 cars there is absolute pressure sensor. I'm not sure, if it is mounted in older cars or which.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Fuel injection is supposed to detect the difference in atmospheric pressure and add more fuel to compensate.
Find a mechanic with a proper diagnostic tool, hook it up and he can monitor the live data and see exactly what's happening with your fuel trims and pin-point the problem.
Doing this on the problem creating the situation and watching the live data, is the most helpful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like this idea but I may have to go to a city 125 miles away to find the proper equipment in a shop as my city is small and out of the way from any metropolitan center. Now I have to research what diagnostic equipment is needed to find someone with that system.
"System" in this case looks to be several gages and a meter or two.

It looks like there are many videos on utube about servicing K-Jetronic injection, My task this week is to find them and watch before I dig in.

In the case of going from low to high altitude it must remove fuel from the available air to come back the stochiometric balance :)

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts